Best Mobile Broadband Card for Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDrIoT69

In Runtime
Hey all. Been a while since i posted on here. Joined the Marine Corps about 5 months ago. I bought a full upp'ed Alienware laptop, and now that im here in Virginia, and will be here on the East Coast for a while, im looking to get a mobile broadband card.

Im looking at some reviews, but not sure which is considered the best, especially for gaming. I know my games will suffer, but whats the best for gaming and dl'ing.

Im thinking of getting Novatel Wireless USB727 USB Modem for Verizon. Anyone know how much it is monthly?

Gaming wont suffer, unless you are in a non-evdo area. I have a mobile broadband card from sprint, and download speeds can peak at 200kb/s. The plans are $49.99 a month for unlimited bandwidth.

Get a pci-express one, since it wont stick out as much from the laptop.

I believe the Verizon plan/hardware is supposed to still be the best. Fastest network, best coverage, etc. My buddy has one and he gets usually 200-300kbps downloads and sometimes more if he's in a good location. Speeds can go as high as 3mbps for the connection the last I read. I think it's like $60/month if you have a phone thru them, $80 if you don't, though those prices may have come down recently to encourage more sign ups.

Either would be fine for gaming/surfing, differences in download speeds probably aren't that great. The biggest thing is area coverage so you'll have to check which network works best for the areas you'll be going to and what speeds you can expect while there. As far as I know Verizon has a bigger and better network but given your situation and locations it might not matter and you can save yourself the money and go with Sprint. You'd have to check with them to see the coverage for sure. Just askem at the kiosks at the mall or whatever. They get a huge commission from selling these things so I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions.

I would have to say Sprint offers the best service and highest speeds. In my area, it's $59.99 for unlimited monthly usage.

I believe the Verizon plan/hardware is supposed to still be the best. Fastest network, best coverage, etc. My buddy has one and he gets usually 200-300kbps downloads and sometimes more if he's in a good location. Speeds can go as high as 3mbps for the connection the last I read. I think it's like $60/month if you have a phone thru them, $80 if you don't, though those prices may have come down recently to encourage more sign ups.

Either would be fine for gaming/surfing, differences in download speeds probably aren't that great. The biggest thing is area coverage so you'll have to check which network works best for the areas you'll be going to and what speeds you can expect while there. As far as I know Verizon has a bigger and better network but given your situation and locations it might not matter and you can save yourself the money and go with Sprint. You'd have to check with them to see the coverage for sure. Just askem at the kiosks at the mall or whatever. They get a huge commission from selling these things so I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions.

Sprint and verizon actually share the same evdo network, so speeds would be the same. When i roam, i roam on verizon. And when a verizon user roams, they roam on sprint. But yeah sprint or verzion have the best in terms of data speeds.

Sprint and verizon actually share the same evdo network, so speeds would be the same. When i roam, i roam on verizon. And when a verizon user roams, they roam on sprint. But yeah sprint or verzion have the best in terms of data speeds.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Makes sense that they should be pretty much the same, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom