Laptop Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Okay so today i got my MVP Package in the mail I will post pics of that in a second. But my question concerns my laptop. Inspiron 1501 from Dell. Now in the package was a PCMIA (Type II) MoGo Mouse. Which is excellent as i hate the touch pad. But how do i connect the freaking thing?

Here i show what the card i remved looks like and the mouse next to it. Now when i try and insert the mouse into the slot it is like it is hitting the short side where the plastic piece shows on the piece removed.

Now this is what the side of the laptop looks like:

18104.jpg

Click for larger image

Now the left side on the top is the card slot. So is it the wrong type of card? According to the reviews and everything it is a Type I and Type II slot. Yet i can not insert the mouse anyway shape or form. Man i hate laptops at times like this...

I can insert it into the hole. The top one on the left. But when i do it only goes in part of the way. If you look at that black plastic piece that i removed from teh slot you see how only half of it goes all teh way down to the end of the mouse.

It seems that the mouse when i try to insert it hits that section as if there is something there.

Alright let me try this. When i insert hte mouse it hits about half way in. But i can push the left side in further while the right side has hit something.

So by looking at the piece removed you see that then the card is inserted the left side goes the length of the mouse while the right side only goes half way down.

So to me it seems that the style of card is not the same even though they say it can use type I and type II cards.

Sounds like you're installing a a pcmcia card into a pc express card slot, which generally doesn't work. So it's like this, right?

Yea, good point :) I was just browsing around the Inspirons to try and find a 15xx model that came with a Type I or II...couldn't find any :) But, I thought that perhaps he could've had one anyway ...

Of course. Just a matter of shopping around. No laptop manufacturer with a "sane" marketing plan would not throw in a Type I or II without a common method for the user to convert their hardware to make it compatible. There are USB to PCMCIA as well. You may or may not want to consider the USB adapter for cross-platform compatability too.

Well the only reason i want to the adapter is to charge it. Since it doesnt have any other option to charge. But from what i see all the adapters cost from $70 and up. That is just crazy. I think this thing will jsut sit and do nothing for a while...

Well the only reason i want to the adapter is to charge it. Since it doesnt have any other option to charge. But from what i see all the adapters cost from $70 and up. That is just crazy. I think this thing will jsut sit and do nothing for a while...

Right, yea I read the manual. I meant so that you could charge it anywhere on anything without having the laptop powered on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom