32bit Windows: more than 2Gb mem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
Ok, this has been asked and covered to death, but there is no end of confusion/ misled opinion.

1) My work computer has 32bit XP and 2GB RAM
2) Running Fluent (CFD programme) I ran out of memory
3) Can I put more memory in, or will I need a 64bit OS, as:
-Windows 32 can only 'see' up to ~3.5G
-Windows 32 bit only uses up to 2G (Don't really get this one)

So basically, for apps, am I not limited to 2G anyway (rather than 3.5)?

If I have to upgrade to 64, what do I need to check to see if it is compatible? (processor? Mobo? Apps?)

Thanks for anyhelp.

..I should really know this by now

Yeah, its a very useful thread, but I don't get this also quoted value of windows only using a maximum of 2GB. Or that the OS uses 2GB and no more.

Either way, I'm basically asking whether, if I put more RAM in, whether a windows based app (fluent) will be able to use it? Will it be any improvement over 2GB, or has it already reached its peak?

Oh, thanks for moving the thread, in retrospect, this is a much better location!

The thread didnt get moved. The thread i linked to was from teh Index that i created so that there isnt 15 sticky threads and no new posts till a page away. ;)

There should not be a access issue at all with Windows have more than 2 GB. I would say get another GB and you should be go to roll. The limitation i think would be the mother board as some mother boards can only hold 2GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom