Win XP Pro w/ 2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornick

Baseband Member
Have a strange problem that I can't seem to figure out.

My facts:
- Gigabit switches through out the building.
- Several Win2k machines.
- 2 XP Pro machines.
- Win2k Server

My problems:
When logging in with the XP machines it takes FOREVER. When logging in with the 2k machines it's instantaneous (like the way it should be).

I'm out of ideas on what this could be. The only thing I can think of at this point is the fact that XP is trying to log into old server software...

Ideas?

Well, first thing to check would be event logs.

Is it a domain or peer environment?
At what point do the XP machines seem to "hang" while logging in?
How are the XP machines assigned IP addresses? Are your DNS settings set differently for the 2000 clients than the XP clients? Typically, they should all be pointing locally (wihtin a domain) and not over the internet. Are the XP clients trying to reconnect to mapped drives? Are you running a lot (or foreign) login scripts?

Well, first thing to check would be event logs.

Is it a domain or peer environment?
Domain.
At what point do the XP machines seem to "hang" while logging in?
They seem to hang at the 'Loading Personal settings', 'Applying Personal Settings', and a software that is network heavy seems to hang a bit.
How are the XP machines assigned IP addresses? Are your DNS settings set differently for the 2000 clients than the XP clients?
Static and they are configured the same.
Typically, they should all be pointing locally (wihtin a domain) and not over the internet. Are the XP clients trying to reconnect to mapped drives?
Yes, 4 mapped drives, all from the same server. But I have an account that has no mapping that I tested and it does the same thing.
Are you running a lot (or foreign) login scripts?
Nope, login script and a printer script. (That doesn't seem like a lot to me...)

how large are the profiles?
have you tried to create new profiles and log in with them to test time.

as well...how long is forever? i have users complain about 90 second logons :rolleyes:

edit: also what SP is your 2K server, do you have seperate GPO's for your 2K/XP users?

how large are the profiles?
We don't even use roaming profiles. But the profiles on the machines for most users was under 10mb.
have you tried to create new profiles and log in with them to test time.
Yes, got the same thing.

as well...how long is forever? i have users complain about 90 second logons :rolleyes:
Heh. By forever I mean I stopped timing it when it hit 5 minutes.

edit: also what SP is your 2K server, do you have seperate GPO's for your 2K/XP users?
SP4 and no, I don't.

Maybe that is where the problem lies. The XP Machines are the ones taking the time. Maybe you should setup separate GPO's. It could be that the GPO's in use are not working correctly with XP.

Maybe that is where the problem lies. The XP Machines are the ones taking the time. Maybe you should setup separate GPO's. It could be that the GPO's in use are not working correctly with XP.

I'm not doubting you but I don't understand how this can make that big of a difference.

Please don't take it the wrong way and I'm not trying to be rude, I honestly just don't know.

The GPO's are not written specifically for XP. XP has a different code base and may not work efficiently with the GPO that was written for a different code based OS. That is how it could be affected. You said it yourself. The Windows 2000 machines are not affected just the XP machines. Which means there was a change inthe way the OS handles the GPO policy.

Very good. I will look into that and see what's going on.

I hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Thanks for the help everyone and if it didn't work....I shall return!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom