Looking for help to build a Crossfire 64-bit gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluelessnewbie

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I come here seeking knowledge of people much more knowledgeable than I am ! As the title says, I'd like to build a AMD 64-bit gaming rig with crossfire. I did a bit of research and here's what I came up with :

CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 X4 Black Edition Quad Core 2.5GHZ or AMD PHENOM 9700 QUAD-CORE AM2+ 4MB 125W 2400MHZ...Not sure if AM2 or AM2+ is the way to go...

MB: Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi-AP Motherboard - AMD 790FX

RAM: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX TRACER DDR2 PC2-8500 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 DC Kit W/ LED X 2 (4GB in all)

VID: ASUS EAH3870X2 G HTDI 1G 1GB DDR3 PCI E

As you can see I'm sold to ASUS cause again, it's all I ever had. I'm open to all suggestions tho.

Now I know some of you hate AMD/ATI and all that...Except most systems I've ever had were AMD/ATI based and they never failed me.

I'd like to know if the gear I posted makes sense and is a good starting point for my new PC. I want performance and upgradeablilty because I plan to keep it for a long time. I also want a 64-bit system.

As far as overclocking goes, I'm willing to try it if it's a user-friendly kinda thing. I'm not well versed in the field...

I thank you for your time and steering me in the right direction. :)

CN

are you set on AMD?
because you will get more gaming performance/multitasking with intel, plus the intel core 2 quads offer amazing overclocking ability

all processors nowadays are 64-bit

SLI 9600gt's is a better deal than the 3870 x2

I checked Intel's website and it said you can only get 64-bit with certain Intel chipsets...maybe I read it wrong and I dont understand tho...

I'm open to Intel and Nvidia however so I'll definitely look that up.

are you set on AMD?
because you will get more gaming performance/multitasking with intel, plus the intel core 2 quads offer amazing overclocking ability

SLI 9600gt's is a better deal than the 3870 x2

right...

but the Phenom 9850 is a good clocker to 3.5ghz, but clock for clock the q6600 is better, and can probably go to 3.3ghz+ and outmatch the Phenom

well anything new and Intel still makes and sells should be 64-bit now.
9600GT in SLI tends to be cheaper than a 3870x2. I would go for 2 acual 3870's since their in the $160 region with an awesome p5E ($140 is a steal for high end board like this)
Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

Vipers are pretty awesome:
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

As for CPU, most games are not optimized for 4 cores, I'd get a e8400 and the 45nm CPU's overclock very nicely. A 1600mhz motherboard like the p5e will most likely support the new 1600mhz CPUs intel will offer.

You got a nice overclocking board, cpu and ram your all set.

AMD @ stock performance tends to be cheaper and a just a bit faster. AMD will stick with the same chipsets so future upgrades on the same board is certain. They might not overclock as well, but provides a longer investment.

I checked Intel's website and it said you can only get 64-bit with certain Intel chipsets...maybe I read it wrong and I dont understand tho...

I'm open to Intel and Nvidia however so I'll definitely look that up.

Hehe quoting myself here :p

I did some research on Intels and for some reason it seems Vista 64-bit and an Intel CPU would only work under certain Intel chipsets. Do I understand this correctly ? For example, could you have an Intel CPU, a Nvidia chipset board running Vista 64-bit ?

Thank you for making me less clueless :)

CN

Anything you would even bother looking at these days is going to be 64bit. I suggest looking at the evga 750i FTW motherboard, 2 9600GT video cards and a q6600. That will run you at least a few years without needing to upgrade.

Get Q6600 and 9600GT in SLI

Q6600 does not only perform better but it consume less power

power_consumption.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom