New computer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do want to thank you TJFZ55. Those pics are great for reference.

Despite my wife's worries, I have decided to attempt another build. I really want it to be working good by the middle of next month, so I will be ordering parts soon. I may be leaning heavily on this forum for advice, but I'm liking the responses and info from other threads.

I am concerned about the availability of the E8400. I am seriously considering getting a Q6600 and trying to OC it to around 3.0 - 3.2 GB. From what I've read, that should not be extreme for that chip. I also think a quad core may last me longer before an upgrade is needed than a core 2 duo. I also am wanting 4 GB of ram for running games in Vista. I think I will be using all of it in the next couple of years. Besides, the price diff between 2 and 4 gigs is minimal. I don't mind jumping to the next step on any component if it is less than $50. Want my total budget below $1300.

Doing some research and will post a new build list soon.

Wow it really is a lot better. Performance-wise its better although I'm not sure he'd see much improvement in graphics. It almost seems like a shame to have a computer that good and give it an 8800GT instead of something better. I mean thats good but with all the new stuff out and all the better options it seems like he could do with an upgrade. It would probably be a good idea to use the step up program with EVGA when the 9900 series comes out. That or when the 9900 series comes out there will probably be some price drops.

OK. I have done the research and decided on a build. Thank you for the list B1gapl. My final list will look familiar. I am using a Raidmax ATX case from an old computer (circa 2003). I have a mouse, keyboard, and speakers left over from other computers. Here we go:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA775 Intel P35 ATX mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHz LGA 775 OEM cpu
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle cpu cooler
Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (2x2GB) 240 pin DDR2 800 ram
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB 7200rpm SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drive
Corsair CMPSU-550VX ATX 12V V2.2 550W power supply
MS Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS (G92) 512 MB OC'd to 670 MHz

Total price: $1012

This video card is about $50 more than the normal EVGA 8800GT. I figure this card should be worth the price increase. If I don't like it, I can always use the upgrade option with EVGA when the new cards come out in July.

I plan to order these items either tomorrow or Thursday.

Any other comments/suggestions?

Looks like a go to me. Have fun with the build, and if you have any trouble, don't hesitate to ask us.

Oh, and make sure you get thermal paste for that heatsink. Get Arctic Cooling MX-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom