Leave on or power off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shut down my computer when I'm not using it over long periods (including night time), and I put it on Standby whenever I'm away from my computer for brief periods.

I was taught that turning off the power completely actually causes some damage to the comp because your sending a shock through it every time you restart it. I never "hurt" my comp by doing this... so i just turn it off. Besides, better newer mobo's still have power going through them even when it's powered down as long as it's plugged in.

Turning the computer on and off does cause damage, VERY little damage. As proof, I have computers from 10 years ago that can still run today on the same equipment, so it proves that you save money. Trust me, in 5 years, you'll realize that the rig will still run whether you turn it off or not. Then you'll see how much money you've wasted leaving it on.

i leave my computers on depending on if they've got led's on them. so i turn off my gaming rig cause it starts right up so it isn't a hassle for it to start up, and its just annoying to leave on. but my laptop and server runs 24/7

I will say i leave the media pc on because it is recording stuff at random times so i have to leave it on. But its only a lowly e2180 and 8500GT so its not exactly sucking down the juice like my q6600/SLI gaming rig does.

I've got about 6 computers in my house, all of which are off when not in use because they are noisy as ****(except my main gaming rig, which I've set to standby if I don't use it for 3 hours).
As to 'damaging' your pc by turning it on, you're 'damaging' it by leaving it on anyway. Electrical current running through something will wear it down. But hey, the wear is so miniscule you could leave your pc runnig 24/7 for over 9,000 years! :) So it's basically just a personal preference if you want to leave it on or off.

Turning the computer on and off does cause damage, VERY little damage. As proof, I have computers from 10 years ago that can still run today on the same equipment, so it proves that you save money. Trust me, in 5 years, you'll realize that the rig will still run whether you turn it off or not. Then you'll see how much money you've wasted leaving it on.

Ya, my teacher really stressed that you shouldn't turn it off and on. But i've been doing that all the time... On my older comp i just smacked the power button.. I didn't even go start, and then turnoff.

Newer one i am more careful with just because I'm dependent :)

New machines you CAN just hit the power button. Windows just does a shutdown anyway. It wsa the old school machines that just went off when you hit power.

Technically, it's worse for the equipment to turn it off and on, part of thermal expansion problem. However most modern systems are robust enough for MTF to not cause a problem, however it still is present. It is BETTER for your components to leave the system on but costs more in power. However the cost in power due to better energy saving features is small, in comparison the MTF of parts is probably minimal, too. So, to sum it up... its really up to you. Leaving it on is better for the system (but they are still sturdy enough anyhow) and turning them off saves money, but with proper energy saving techniques not enough to wrtie home about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom