9800GX2 + ASUS P5E x38 = trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
Ok, I'm in big trouble now. First off, I was building this system and when starting up for the first time, I got the One long beep, three short beeps which signaled that the VGA was not detected. So, first conclusion came to be that my brand new 9800GX2 is broke. I tried reseating it, checked all the power cables (I'm using a Corsair 750TX so I think I should have enough power, right?). I also tried using my 9600GT in the same board and it worked fine.

Now my next problem is that I was messing around with the Bios Flash utility before even trying to load windows, and I must have flashed the bios to an earlier version, because now all it does on start up is tell me "Chassis intruded!.... Fatal Error. System Halted!"

So, is there some bios version I have to update to in order to use the 9800GX2? And if there is a newer bios version, how do I flash my bios now that it won't even load into the bios menu without giving me that error. Is my power supply not enough?

The other specs are 2 DVD burners, Q6600, 4GB reapers, and about 6 system fans on the Thermaltake Armor case.

I need some drastic help here!

UPDATE: I no longer get the "Chassis intrusion" error. I am going to install windows using my 9600GT and see if there is any bios revisions. Has anyone heard of a 9800GX2 card needing such a thing? If that isn't the problem, then it's a dead card and that means I'm going to be waiting for a while to have this built.

Actually i have read that some boards need a bios flash to read the GX2 so that could be it. Make sure when you screw the card down, that it doesnt cause the front to unseat, some people have run into this also. Hopefully i'll have my cards sometime this week.

I hope that is all it needs. I really don't want to wait for an RMA and all the shipping hassle.

*edit*
Didn't work. Tried all newer versions. Everything else works fine. I have the system overclocked to 3.2GHz and running smooth. I am RMAing the card and will be either going with an SLi solution of 2-8800GT's or getting another card here locally because I need it immediately. Thanks for your help.

bummer indeed. sounds pretty odd to me.

Also you know you can't use your P5E and go SLI at the same time... right?

Yes, I just realized that. Why is that? Isn't SLi and Crossfire basically the same thing but called different things? Such as the firewire is called i-link by sony? Either way, I need a solution and fast.

SLI and Crossfire are similar but work a bit differently from eachother.

There's always 3870 crossfire :) or the 3870x2...

The 9800GX2 should work though......

it could just be a faulty card....
but if the rma one doesnt work...
go with the 3870 in crossfire or just get the 3870X2

It has to be a faulty card. Surely my powersupply and everything else is plenty. I've even found one person that used the same motherboard and was fine.

I'm going to give the 9800GX2 a second chance. Ordered another one today from NewEgg I really want the graphics potential of this card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom