I want a new video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just remembered to ask, will all of this fit in my case?

How do I remove an old PSU (it came built in, is it soldered?) will my new one fit?
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500 ATX12V v1.3/ EPS12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL - Power Supplies

if not, how the deuce will I get all of this working?
First page has a pic of my case.

lol...That would be so stupid of the company to solder the PSU to the case. How would they do any repair or maintenance on it? I'm pretty sure it's just screwed in.

And the PSU should be able to fit, because the current one looks of the standard PSU size, which the Rosewill is.

Just making sure to cover all bases, I think my next biggest upgrade will be a mobo+processors because I have a 939 socket and I heard they were going out of style like bell bottom jeans.

I don't really want to start a new thread - that just spams this place up.

I just found out that I'm getting some money soon, I'm not sure how much - but I think it would cover a new motherboard and processor.

So, I have a few questions:
You know my new power supply, and my graphics card. Someone told me that with my setup it would be bottlenecked - would it?
I'd like a dual core, possibly quad core. AMD preferred - I'm not much of an intel fan (are there any difference? Are Intel chips really better?)
I'd like to be able to not worry about having to replace it in the next 2-3 years because the PCI-32x or something crazy like that has came out. I just want it to be able to hold things I'll need for a few years.
And I want to use the case I have now, unless there's some super-fancy deal on a new case/mobo/processor - the only deal I can think of is a backbone mobo/processor.

Many thanks =] you guys are really my answer when it comes to computer related purchases!

I don't think the bottleneck is that great.

Intel chips so far, have the upper hand in performance, but that shouldn't stop you from staying loyal to AMD.

Can't really tell you what to go for, unless you tell us a budget. But on AMD's side I would suggest the Phenom 9750 (quad core), and the MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard. On the Intel side, it would be a Q6600, also a quad, and the Gigabyte P35-DS3L. It is cheaper and better performing than the AMD combo, but you said you wanted to stick with AMD.

The problem is, if you're sticking with the case, you're limited to only Micro ATX motherboards. Which isn't bad, but it limits your choices to picking a nice motherboard.

a nice motherboard? Are you saying that motherboards come in different sizes? (I mean, I know they would vary, but I didn't know it was a substantial difference)
I'm looking at around 300-400. That intel set-up you suggested is only 340, if I were to buy a new case; would I be able to get more performance from a better motherboard?

Also, what does ATX stand for?

Yes, motherboards do come in different sizes(form factors). mATX or MicroATX, are usually used in low-end desktops or HTPCs(home theater computers). ATX is the standard size for most computers. And ATX stands for Advanced Technology Extended.

The Intel setup should be cheaper than that, if you buy from the right places. Such as getting the Q6600 from frys.com for under $200. And getting the motherboard from newegg.com, which is around $89.

Silverfury said:
if I were to buy a new case; would I be able to get more performance from a better motherboard?
Not necessarily. I'm just saying that your current case, limits the choices of motherboards you can pick from, since it only supports mATX. Usually the ATX motherboards are better because, they have more room for upgrades, which is what you wanted.

you will also have to buy new ddr2 ram since your getting a new mobo.
and since your getting the quad, i would suggest a better reliable psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom