The Jolly Soon to Be Lit Up Green Giant (56k Warning...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Case mod ideas, inspiration/discussion thread (56K Warning)

Coming along nicely... I can see that you are going along the traditionly path of black paint then can you try an post some good before an after pic's when the job is done a some closeups of the work would be nice to.

LOL, Im a member here.......

This is a HUGE case..make sure to pack it up with a ton of hardware.
(and cut out the centers of the fan mounts)

EDIT: holy cow! I have 242 posts here? I cant believe I totally forgot about this forum.

Haha, I don't think I even realized you were a member here.

Got a few quick q's for ya though.

How do I cut modders mesh/similar metal?

What do you think I would need to cut the side panels. By my rough estimation they seem to be approx 1.5-2mm steel...

-Andrew

dremel + jig saw?

I cut my steel side panels with a standard dremel at 35,000 RPM... wen't through wheels fast, but it worked

You can make the initial cut with the dremel since jig saws can't make holes, then juts use the dremel ot make relatively straight or slightly curved cuts.

I dunno, these panels are some seriously heavy duty stuff...

Heres a picture comparing the panel thickness between my aurora which is aluminum and the huge arse-case which is steel.

Aurora ^

Arse-case ^

aluminum weighs like nothing.. haha. i noticed that when i was taking my case appart, its so light its amazing

eh, the dremel will cut through anything, its just a matter of taking your time and having lots of cutting wheels

reinforced fiberglass wheels (426) will do fine, although you'l need to go over your selected area mutliple times (dont just push the wheel into the area you want to cut... go over it multiple times otherwise your wheel will die)

then the jigsaw will have no problem

the prob with the Dremel (not including it can be a seriously expensive and dangerous tool for a noob) is the cutters cost quite a bit (over the cost of the Tool)
Do you have a set of compound cutters?
RedSnips.jpg

If you dont Aspire PM me and Il send you a pair.

Like commandercup mentioned a jig saw with a fine blade will work also but you need to cover the surface to prevent the jigsaw base from scratching it.

LOL, I was a member here quite a while ago it looks, I cant remember why I wandered off though.

don't those tend to bend the metal when your cutting it?

not if done correctly, I have had a set for over 25 years and they still cut well.

The red handle ones are for left curves, yellow for straight and green handle are for right curves. (made by Wiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom