Windows XP installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smenon

Baseband Member
I am unable to install win XP after formatting my HDD. When I run setup through command prompt, it does the copying of the files from CD for few minutes and then stops. Any idea about the problem? I have tried it without loading smartdrv file. I don't think this is the problem.

Do you have an optical drive installed? With only a floppy drive available a set of six disks are made up in order to start the installer. If you have an optical drive installed you simply boot from the installation cd itself to see the installer load up.

For booting from the cd you either set the optical drive as the first boot device or press an assigned F key and select the optical drive(dvd, cd) from a list of all drives installed in the optical drive catagory.

Are you using a quick format or full format? Use the full format.

Does you disc have SP2 already in it? Or are you using a really old disc with only SP1?

Bad memory or a bad data cable would be something to consider if the optical drive the disk is in simply doesn't need cleaning. Either the disk is not or cannot be fully read or something is directly hampering the installer itself.

The last item that comes to mind is a hard drive you can read from, copy from but not write to while still being able to reformat or delete partitions. I ran into that on two separate systems both running XP where the same problems were being seen and no go with a repair install on either.

On both I could rescue files and folders but couldn't reinstall XP. On both a new drive solved everything seeing clean installs of XP on each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom