New AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmaddogfreak

In Runtime
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out a bit.

I have an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo which has a AM2 socket.

I have read that the new AMD Phenom 9850 will work on an AM2 or an AM2+ socket mobo, but I am worried about the power requirements of the processor. It requires 125 watts, and I don't want to fry my mobo trying to get it to run the Quad core. I am currently running a dual core 4600+ overclocked from 2.4 GHz to 2.75 GHz. It runs extremely stable (I could probably OC it more, but I don't want to mess with the voltages too much. And I really like this Mobo, so as i am sure it would just be best to get a new mobo, i really want to try and get this one to run the phenom.

Any ideas?

Some of the K8 processors were 120W (including earlier 6000+ models)

Not to mention, many boards allow you to put a higher amount of voltage (therefore power) through the CPU, for overclocking.

Voltage seems fine, I am just worried about the Amperage. Watts is Volts times amps, and while i might be able to get the right voltage needed to power this thinkg, my mobo may not be able to push the required amount of amps. I read this from newegg.

"Requires a multi-phase PWM mobo

Reviewed By: Wingless on 4/6/2008
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: less than 1 day

Pros: Fastest AMD available, good price, and overclocks to 3Ghz on air/3.5 on water according to Xtremesystems.org.

Cons: 125watt TDP requires motherboards with 5 or more power phases (count the MOSFETS around the CPU socket to tell). If you put this CPU, or any 125watt TDP CPU, in any motherboard that had not been specifically qualified with high TDP CPUs like the X2 6400+ or Phenoms, it may blow the motherboard. This isn't the Phenom's fault. Its the motherboard manufacturers fault for cutting corners.

Other Thoughts: Pair this CPU with a worthy motherboard like a DFI LP UT 790FX-M2R that has a digital 6-phase PWM system (no caps, no MOSFETS). You pay a little extra but you also get absolute premium features and excellent overclockability."

Voltage seems fine, I am just worried about the Amperage. Watts is Volts times amps, and while i might be able to get the right voltage needed to power this thinkg, my mobo may not be able to push the required amount of amps. I read this from newegg.

"Requires a multi-phase PWM mobo

Reviewed By: Wingless on 4/6/2008
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: less than 1 day

Pros: Fastest AMD available, good price, and overclocks to 3Ghz on air/3.5 on water according to Xtremesystems.org.

Cons: 125watt TDP requires motherboards with 5 or more power phases (count the MOSFETS around the CPU socket to tell). If you put this CPU, or any 125watt TDP CPU, in any motherboard that had not been specifically qualified with high TDP CPUs like the X2 6400+ or Phenoms, it may blow the motherboard. This isn't the Phenom's fault. Its the motherboard manufacturers fault for cutting corners.

Other Thoughts: Pair this CPU with a worthy motherboard like a DFI LP UT 790FX-M2R that has a digital 6-phase PWM system (no caps, no MOSFETS). You pay a little extra but you also get absolute premium features and excellent overclockability."

the M2N SLI deluxe has an 8 phase power design. That's more than enough for Phenom's to work properly.

how can i tell how many phases mine has? Me n u Apok have the same exact mobo.

Yea, i too am curious as to how did you find out how many phases my mobo has. And thank you Dakaggo, i <3 my mobo. It's definitely been very very good to me. When i bought this about a year ago, I knew it would be very expandable, but I never expected it to support such a powerful and power hungry processor. My current system specs are below, but other than the graphics card, processor and mobo, everything else has been upgraded, and there is soo much more I can do to this. Thanks guys for the help.

I read that the 9850 black edition can get up to 3.5 GHz on liquid cooling (which I have) which should be comperable to what...? a 1300? SAWWWEETT! lol now all i need are some 8800 GTXs and I am alll set till next month. LOL

how can i tell how many phases mine has? Me n u Apok have the same exact mobo.
Google, or count the MOSFET's

Yeah, I have a K9A2 Platinum motherboard.
I think it uses 9 MOSFET's. though I'm at uni right now.

Though AM2+ has independent power phases for the memory controller, and the core.

I also have a foxconn C51XEM2AA (Nforce 590 SLI). It's a really good motherboard. It just doesn't support crossfire, or HTT 3.0.

A lot of people with 9850's have been hitting 3GHZ with air, and with little or no voltage increase.

3.5GHZ was done using about 1.5V or so (stock is 1.3V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom