Help needed, totally new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTRDR83

Solid State Member
This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but, I put everything together and configured it like all of the websites and directions i've been looking at say to, however, when I insert any install CD into the drive it is not recognized.

(My HDD is connected into SATA 1 and my DVD drive is connected to IDE1, I don't know if that makes a difference)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Try uninstalling the driver for the DVD drive and restarting windows. Also, check your bios to make sure that IDE connection isn't disabled somehow. Is it just install CD's that won't work, or ALL CD's won't work?

Make sure the jumper on the DVD drive is set to Cable Select or Master. Also, make sure that you have the power plugged in good, and that the IDE ribbon is plugged in good on both ends.

Go into the BIOS and make sure that it is seeing the drive, as well. it is possible that the drive is DOA or that the firmware is screwed. If you have another optical drive you could substitute to get the system up and running, try it and then update the firmware on the DVD drive.

All CD's wont work, i don't have any drivers or windows installed.

Thanks, I'll try that out and get back to you.

The DVD-ROM is set to master, all cables are good and tight.

I checked BIOS and all components (HDD and DVD-ROM) are recognized

In BIOS the boot sequence default was set to:
1) 1st Floppy Drive
2) SATA - HDD
3) CD/DVD drive

Should I keep it like that? I'm obviously not going to be using an FDD

When I start the computer up and it goes through the very little it goes through (asking me if i want to enter set-up, etc.) I get a black and white screen that's larger than my monitor and I can't seem to get past it:
(<- indicates that there is text to the left but I can't see it - how do i fix that?)

<-el UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)

<-yright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
<- Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v1.02 (060529)
<--E61: Media test failure, check cable
<--MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

<-oot and Select proper Boot Device
<-Insert Boot Media in slected Boot device and press a key

I press a key and it thinks for a second and then starts over from the top

Again, any help is greatly appreciate, this is getting kind of frustrating

Set the boot priority to CD/DVD drive, then HDD, then floppy (or don't use floppy in the boot at all to save time on boot).

The BIOS is trying to find something to boot off of in the floppy drive. Once you set the CD/DVD as boot, it should load up.

After you get Windows installed, go back and set the HDD as boot, with the CD/DVD as second. Again, you can leave the floppy off the list to save time on boot.

I changed the boot order and everything is still the same. Does that essentially mean that something is wrong with the DVD drive and/or its connection to the motherboard, or is there possibly something else wrong?

Would a 40 pin vs. 80 IDE ribbon make a difference? I'm not sure which I'm using, but it's the one that came in the MB box so i figured it would be best.

The cable should work. You can try swapping out the cable and see if it is bad. Does the BIOS register the drive being connected? Not the boot order, but somewhere it will show what drives are connected and give the name and model number. If it is not showing up, it may be dead, or the mobo may be defective. Also, try a different power connector so you can rule out the obvious.

the HDD and DVDRW are recognized in BIOS with the proper names and numbers, a new power connector didn't provide any change either.

If you do have another optical drive, say in another computer, pull it and its cable and try them. You don't have to mount it, just connect the IDE and the power. If it won't work, your motherboard is screwed. That would be a pain in the rear, but it does happen now and then. But that's why they have the RMA process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom