Won't Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Lone Wolf

I did have a gander at that link that you had posted, it look a little to scary. It was more or less mapped out for FAT32 there was another link for accessing the registry if using NTFS but it didnÂ’t really explain how to do it via the recovery console.

I may take the plunge over the weekend if I am sober enough

Your help with this is much appreciated Lone Wolf

Thanks
Copper.

Copper said:
Thanks Lone Wolf

I did have a gander at that link that you had posted, it look a little to scary. It was more or less mapped out for FAT32 there was another link for accessing the registry if using NTFS but it didnÂ’t really explain how to do it via the recovery console.

No, the separate directions are for accessing the System Volume Information folder only. Everything else is the same Copper.

I understand what you mean however. If one has not used the recovery console commands before, I know the directions in that article can seem a bit daunting. Let's wait for MB or Mike to get their feedback on what would be next possible choice in this matter.

Cheers Lone Wolf.

I took the plunge and pumped all the said info in via the recovery console & it appeared to work a treat.

I know get past the boot up screen and just as i get to the log on screen i get this message, the exact same thing happens in safe mode.

1hnw0

I have never used a password to log on.

I decided to try and reinstall XP Pro over the top again, and i still the same problem exists.

I need an asprin, and i think the PC needs a sledgehammer.

Copper.

Copper, I will PM one of the MODs to see what would be the next best step. I don't want to steer you down the wrong path and make things worse. Hold tight, i'm sure one of them will have some good suggestions.

Hi MB

No need for apologies, thanks for posting a reply.

I tried the fixboot & fixmbr done the repair on XP, but I have no idea on how to install SP-1 before the system reboots. I had a look through the link and it dosenÂ’t say (unless I am being thick again) Looks like I am going to have to go for a clean install. Arggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I may not have solved my problem, but I am still learning loads from you guys on this forum.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
Copper.

It is only a matter of days before MS releases SP-2 for XP... last I heard it will happen this week sometime. You could wait for SP 2 to come out.

Drats! I almost forgot about this. Hey Copper if you're still reading the thread, give this a try:

Boot up w/ the XP CD. Go ahead and go through the installation process... at some point, it will ask you if you want to do a new installation or "Fix this installation of XP". Choose the latter and the setup will recognize the installation that's on there now. Select the partition (or directory) that it shows and let XP do it's thing.

I completely forgot about this option, but now that you've come this far, I would hate for you to give up and do a fresh install.

Hi Lone Wolf.

I did try that earlier on, it was after that i started to get the prompt
1hnw0

just before i hit the login screen. Same would happen in Safe Mode.

I think that was what Microbell was saying about the problem being in SP-1.

No matter if i try and repair Windows, it's the SP-1 thats is tits up, but i still cant get round it.

So my solution is ..................................
Ive decided to go for a new PC, a rebuild, it's well over due anyway, so i am just seeing what the best to go for at the moment.

But as i said, thanks a lot for all the replies and help, it was much appreciated.

Copper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom