arcgis build

Status
Not open for further replies.
No extra hard drives laying around to put in the old machine and just ghost it?

hmmmm....

any recommendations on some software to do this? and what do i need to do this transfer? my current hd is 40 gigs and the new one will be 160. is it as easy as 'ghosting' this 40 onto that 160, and the remaining 120 would be in another partition?

thanks

Norton Ghost will do it, no problem. If veedub is talking about an external or a spare drive to act as a go-between, there are several freeware backup utilies that can do the job. Check out MajorGeeks.com and see what they have.

Norton Ghost will do it, no problem. If veedub is talking about an external or a spare drive to act as a go-between, there are several freeware backup utilies that can do the job. Check out MajorGeeks.com and see what they have.

so norton ghost can take my current computer, and basically transfer it to the new one? what about the OS on the new one (its xp pro to xp pro)? id like to basically have my old comp on the new one, if thats possible without our friendly it lady freaking out over the process. im assueming drivers and other similar stuff wont exactly work... so how does it work?

thank you

The problem with trying to transfer the OS is that the drivers would not work. It is possible, sometimes, to transfer from one system to another, though. I used to have a link to a good article on it, well about changing motherboards without reinstalling (same thing). You could Google for it... seems like it was a PCWorld article.

If you can find the article (or another like it), you could try it and see if it works for you. if it does, you would still have all of your programs and files "as is". if you Ghost it to a bigger drive (before or after, but before would preserve it just in case), you would have it all plus more room.

*EDIT* - Not the exact article, but I think it has the same info.
Beginners Guides: Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling - PCSTATS.com /*EDIT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom