Question about Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, theoretically, the case and I are one system, but by touching a CPU which is not yet connected to the system I may damage it, right?

Lol...first off: don't worry about it, touch the case before you start and you'll be fine, all this extra stuff is unnecessary details you don't have to thing about.

THEORETICALLY, yes you could cause some damage to the cpu but I've NEVER heard of a cpu being damaged from static so don't worry about it. you're much more likely to break or bend a pin :D

I think the worse thing you can do is work on a PC with greasy fingers. I've seen a lot of techs wear latex gloves to protect the part. I just wash my hands with soap before I get started.

Lol...first off: don't worry about it, touch the case before you start and you'll be fine, all this extra stuff is unnecessary details you don't have to thing about.

THEORETICALLY, yes you could cause some damage to the cpu but I've NEVER heard of a cpu being damaged from static so don't worry about it. you're much more likely to break or bend a pin :D

Newer Intel processors don't have pins anymore, lol.

lol, bit of a giveaway that i'm an amd boy eh? i really do need to try an intel system one of these days.

man, if your touching the case there is no chance of a discharge, if you let go there is a remote chance...remote meaning maybe 3% chance that it could happen...the longer you go with out touching the case the more likely there will be a discharge, just touch the case every 10mins when your working in it. Always have the psu cable unplugged from the case when your working in it.

man, if your touching the case there is no chance of a discharge, if you let go there is a remote chance...remote meaning maybe 3% chance that it could happen...the longer you go with out touching the case the more likely there will be a discharge, just touch the case every 10mins when your working in it. Always have the psu cable unplugged from the case when your working in it.

Exactly...and I think 3% is being generous, a little legal disclaimer there :p Maybe like a 3% there will be a discharge and a 5% chance that discharge will actually cause damage....staked, that's a low probability, think of how may members there are in the forum and how many of them have fried something from statis? Sounds like Greg there won this lottery, what did you fry?

BTW, won't be replying for a bit, am off to the hospital, wife is in labour, time to expand the family! lol, wish us luck!

BTW, won't be replying for a bit, am off to the hospital, wife is in labour, time to expand the family! lol, wish us luck!
Good luck, man! Thank you all for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom