Internet Explorer & Firefox disable options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macabre4

Solid State Member
Hey guys :)

Looking for an answer to this please - I want to be able to remove the access to internet explorer and firefox's "internet options" function. This is normally accessed through "tools>options" etc.

I need to be able to disable this as I am setting a school's internet useage through a restricted proxy, and I really don't want them to be able to disable my hard work by simply accessing this option from both programs.

For IE you will want to set the restriction via a GPO

Here's a pic of where it's located in GPO editor (credit for the pic goes to the person on that other forum)
attachment.php

As far as the FireFox one, I've never played with it, but here's a quick link to the ADM files for FireFox
SourceForge.net: FirefoxADM

This appears to only work under XP pro. I can't Add a group policy on windows xp home edition. If there is a way it's done, its very likely to be done through the registry. I have managed to disable Run, control panel and a few others to limit their privileges, although because I am unable to use this GPO, I have to do it manually through regedit HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Policies>Explorer .

Maybe someone would know what part of the registry I need to add a key to prevent them from opening
[img=http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3043/disablemz2.th.jpg]

Thanks.

For the IE one, go to c:\windows\system32\ and change the permissions on inetcpl.cpl Remove whatever users you don't want to have access to that page.

This is a very weak security option since they can still dig into the registry and modify the values themselves (the keys for IE connection settings are in the HKCU hive which means the logged-on user has rights to change them).

FYI, the reason you can't use GPO's on XP Home is because Home wasn't intended to be a managed OS (hence why it's cheaper).

bla!! said:
FYI, the reason you can't use GPO's on XP Home is because Home wasn't intended to be a managed OS (hence why it's cheaper).

Heh :) , yeah I was a little on the cheap side upon purchase, ahhh well, you get what you pay for :) .

I have managed to manipulate Internet options now through the registry, setting restrictions for various exe's as well, including regedit. Firefox internet preferences is disabled through slightly modifying an extension I downloaded called "hidemenubar" .

Thanks for your responses bla!! , appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom