Question about Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats because some people are idiotic and too demanding and ignorant when it comes to overclocking, and not doing the reasonable stuff

of course your going to fry your q6600 if you push it to 1.8V

Well, thanks guys. So long, I'm going to sleep now.

EDIT: Obviously I didn't go. :D

So, by touching the case I'm equalized with that case but may be yet charged and by grabbing say CPU or Mobo I may damage it? Sorry, it goes too much teoretical I guess. :)

But is the PSU plugged?

Numero uno: ALWAYS have the psu unplugged when working on the guts of the computer.

The components of the comp are bonded to each other and the case through regular contact...it's one system. When you touch the case you become part of that system while you are touching it. If you let go then you are your own system again but you are of the same charge as the computer so shouldn't be any static issues. In my opinion the electrostatic bracelets are over kill but they do work and I don't fault anyone for using one. If you walk into any reputable electronics manufacturer they will all be wearing these type of bracelets that are attached to a grounding source so everyone is grounded while working with the electronics at all times.

As far as safe goes...you always hear the stories about someone who fried something because of static but i've never met this someone.

Let me know if that works for you

I was fed up with my TV Tuner card before so I took it out and touched it all over the place without worrying about static or grease from my fingers. I even threw it around on my table. I thought it crapped out on me. So what happened next? I reinstalled it and it worked, lol. I didn't even unplug the power cord on the back of the case. Very careless on my part, but everything still ended up working.

But still, it's always better to take precaution by touching a metal chassis to ground yourself and by unplugging the power cord in the back of the PC. Electricity pass through your body like nothing. It's the electrons are always trying to go from positive to negative, one end to the other to complete a circuit with you being the conductor. By touching metal, you are discharging the electrons or disrupting the path for electric current to go through.

Numero uno: ALWAYS have the psu unplugged when working on the guts of the computer.

The components of the comp are bonded to each other and the case through regular contact...it's one system. When you touch the case you become part of that system while you are touching it. If you let go then you are your own system again but you are of the same charge as the computer so shouldn't be any static issues. In my opinion the electrostatic bracelets are over kill but they do work and I don't fault anyone for using one. If you walk into any reputable electronics manufacturer they will all be wearing these type of bracelets that are attached to a grounding source so everyone is grounded while working with the electronics at all times.

As far as safe goes...you always hear the stories about someone who fried something because of static but i've never met this someone.

Let me know if that works for you

So, theoretically, the case and I are one system, but by touching a CPU which is not yet connected to the system I may damage it, right?

I meant plugged, but turned off to provide grounding for the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom