Mobo? again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dainius

In Runtime
Im thinking of building an intel system with the q6600 so I can play around with some OC'ing(since amd cant very well yet). Right now I have an asus crosshair with AMDX2 6400. Very pleased with it but want to try intels side. What mobo would you guys recommend for the q6600, crucial ballistix tracers ddr800 1gb X 4, 9800 GX2 in quad SLI later on...it will be water cooled so no prob there but I get confused on intel boards and hearing cant run SLI on some of them but only crossfire? what do I look for to know I can use SLI? nothing to outrageous on prices cuz I just got done building this comp I have now. Thanks for any help that can be given.

If you're thinking of SLI, I would suggest the 780i chipset motherboards. When you heard of mostly Crossfiring, they were referring to the P35, X38, and X48 chipsets. I personally think those are better at overclocking, than Nvidia chipsets, such as the 780i, but you're not Crossfiring.

look for a 680i A1, or 780i. those are great boards.

You need a 650i, 680i, 750i, or 780i or 790i to run SLI.

oh jk, you can have skulltrail too. That works with SLI.

Should eliminate 650i and 750i. He's getting a 9800GX2, so he might as well get a high end motherboard.

He also said nothing too outrageous, so 790i and Skulltrail is out.

780i is the perfect choice for him.

Dainius, you might want to wait for July-August. The 9800GX2 is looking to get replaced by the 9900GTX.

Should eliminate 650i and 750i. He's getting a 9800GX2, so he might as well get a high end motherboard.

He also said nothing too outrageous, so 790i and Skulltrail is out.

780i is the perfect choice for him.

Dainius, you might want to wait for July-August. The 9800GX2 is looking to get replaced by the 9900GTX.

I know. but he seemed confused about what could run sli, so I was just mentioning all the ones he could use. I think 780i is the best option as well :D

great! thanks for the fast replies guys. Ill look into getting the 780i and I would wait for the new 9900GTX but my step up is already done just waiting for the new GPU to come in the mail... depending on the price of the 9900 may get those for another comp when they come out and sell this one. And not too interested in the skulltrail. Heard too many bad reviews on it. It will be great when 8 cores can be utilized more efficiently I think. Thanks for the help again.

maybe he could get an eVGA 9800gx2 and then use the step up program and step up to a 9900gtx

You already have a nice Crosshair, you can 9800GX2 right now, oc the most out of your 6000+ or overclock a phenom or wait for some faster ones to come out.

i might go that route and step up to the 9900gtx when they come and see how they will compare to the 9800 GX2. I love the mobo I have right now but with my 6400 dual core the most I have been able to get out of it was around 3500mhz stable. These cpu's run pretty hot but with my water cooling its no prob really. I just want a cpu that I can OC like crazy like the q6600 to play around with. I might try the 9850 BE. I heard it almost compares to the q6600 and can OC a whole lot better than the other phenoms. I just wasnt too happy with the performance of the 9600 phenom. Everything seemed slower to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom