my new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy101

Baseband Member
hey guys.
ok i recently built my 1st pc, and its working like a charm (alot of thanks to everyone for their help)

so now im building another one for my sister. its mainly for word processing and internet, nothing to fancy.
here are what i am going for so far.

MoBo - Gigabyte GA-7VM400M-RZ
CPU - AMD XP 2000+ RETAIL BOX (THOROUGHBRED)
MEM - 256mb DDR RAM PC-2100 KINGSTON 266mhz CAS-2.5
HARD DRIVE - Hitachi DESKSTAR 120GXP Vancouver 40.0GB
DVD-RW - Asus DRW-0804P DVD+-R/RW

thats basically it. any comments would b greatly appreciated (prices are in $AUS)
and thanks again for all your help

If thats all shell be using it for, then id cut the cost and get a CD-RW drive instead of the DVD-RW, that should save money.

It might be a lot more cost effective and time productive if you were to get the slowest of all the latest technology; thus giving your sister the option to upgrade later.

As a result it will probably cost more but you should at least try and get a motherboard that supports AMD Athlon 64-bit. But other than that bit of nagging it looks fine.

Maybe you should consider a Intel Pentium 4 processor instead of AMD (there are too many classes in AMD at the moment). If you were to get a Intel Celeron 2.40Ghz (NORTHWOOD/128KB/400 FSB/0.13u/S478) CPU you could upgrade to a Intel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz (NORTHWOOD/512KB/800 FSB/0.13u/S478/HT) later... providing you bought a motherboard that supports both.

With the Athlon XP you listed above you are really limiting yourself for upgrades later. You should definitely re-think that motherboard also. You should be getting FSB400 and DDR400 as standard these days, this gives you lots of upgrade options later.

Note: Kangaroo thinks motherboards are the heart of all machines :D

EDIT: This motherboard might be a lot better, the MSI PT8 Neo-LSR.

hey thanks for the replies, im looking more for a mini motherboard.. she wants it to take up less space... could any of you suggest a mini motherboard around the same price(bout $100-150 should be fine) thanx for ur help.

and also cost isnt that big of an issue so ill just stick with the dvdrw.

yea but theres no point in getting a small mobo if ur gettinga big case find a small case thats meant for the shuttles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom