Question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
As far as RAM goes, how long will 512 MB still be good? I know that as far as gaming goes, 512 is around average. But for internet surfing, word processing, etc., how long will 512 work?

Depends on the OS and apps, really.

WinXP recommends 128, but we all know it really sits with 256 straight off. If you got MS office applications running, and a web browser, and a music player, etc etc, then you can see how things start to add up. Soon you start nudging your VM page file higher and higher.

Generally, in this dawning age, I would recommend 1gig of RAM (if your mobo can support it). Just to make things roomy.

My computer at work has Windows XP Pro and 128 MB of RAM, and it's death. It takes forever to pull up internet explorer with Microsoft Outlook open. It's terrible.

512 is still very good to go, this should not be declared as AVERAGE, but u can declare 256 as average.

execption is 1MB, and 2MB like me = fools :)

all xp needs to run is 64mbs, recomended 128. 256 is just more comforting... so its not considered minimum.

there are other things witch contribute to, for example the loading of web pages, or launching IE. so your work comp may also be slower in proccessor speed, or bus speed, etc... and its prolly also running a bunch of other crap in the background slowing it down more, prolly losts of security stuff and other things for a work intranet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
i only use my comp for games/web/multimedia stuff... but for web/word proccessing and basic stuff like that, i imajine 256 would do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom