server 2003 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
Hi, I have server 2003 loaded on one of my home computers just to get use to it. I would like to put all patches and service packs on it if possible.

I am low on HDD space so I might be limited. What I need to know is how much HDD space I need for service pack 2?

Also, is there some application or program this is not needed for a person just trying to get use to server 2003 that can be deleted to free up some HDD space in which I won't even notice that it is gone? If so, what is it and I will delete it.

I appreciate any positive responses and help given.

thx

Just where things are. I might try to test some policies, I might fool around with active directory, I might make a PDC but I don't have to if it uses a lot of hard drive resources, just somethings like that. If the modules you recommend removing I can always add later if they are needed. I have about 266 MB free and I could get another 500 MB from my other OS that I am dual booting with.

If you could recommend some I would appreciate it muchly.

Well, you're definitely not going to be able to install SP2. During the SP2 install (just like any Service Pack) it will inflate to over a GB and then contract after the installation finalizes. What Windows Components do you have listed as installed under Add/Remove Programs?

Hardly anything.... accessories and utilities 4.9 MB. I d/l a bunch of other security thing as well. Woud I be better off deleting most of them and d/l sp2? I can take 750Mb from other os if needed.

Hardly anything.... accessories and utilities 4.9 MB. I d/l a bunch of other security thing as well. Woud I be better off deleting most of them and d/l sp2?

Well, I really don't think that you will be able to remove a GB worth of space to allow SP2 to install. Even after SP2 installs there are 2 hotfixes and 3 security updates that come to mind that you will absolutely need. They are all small, (combined total < 30MB) but it will just add to the total. Is there any way that you can allocate more space? What kind of drive (and other specs) are you working with?

Well, I really don't think that you will be able to remove a GB worth of space to allow SP2 to install. Even after SP2 installs there are 2 hotfixes and 3 security updates that come to mind that you will absolutely need. They are all small, (combined total < 30MB) but it will just add to the total. Is there any way that you can allocate more space? What kind of drive (and other specs) are you working with?

What kind of HDD? and by other specs, could you please be a little more specific?

Just curious as to how much total hard drive space you are working with. And, not that it's needed to be known, but I was also curious as to the other specifications of the box you are working with (processor, ram, et cetera)

total HDD 6GB, processor= p3 450MHz, RAM=256 MB... very minor as I just try leaning different OS's on this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom