Boot Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellul

Beta member
Driving me crazy!!!. Here it goes, Gateway Select 1000 pc. Two Hard drieves one 60 gig brand new with Windows XP Home just installed and 30 gig prexisting hard drive formated and clean set up as slave. Cannot boot up from the hdd, I have to run gateways recovery disk to tell it to boot from hard drive and then it boots up. I have been through the bois and set it up the hard drives are on auto config. I have tried to flash the bios but can't get the flash to go through.. The problem is not new to the pc, the old hard drive had the same issues. I am lost right now any help will be appreciated!!!!

Try setting all your startup devices only to the hard drive...then see if that does anything as all it will be trying to boot from is the hard drive..

Tried that already having only the primary hdd as a boot option still same thing. Only way it will boot up is with the Gateway CD, when I boot from that a black screen pops up asking me to choose from booting from HD or from CD. I choose HD and then it will boot my windows xp. Like I said the original HD had the same problem with Windows XP and had the same problem with Windows ME.Any othewr ideas

hmmmm try running a repair on the Windows XP instllation and see if that clears up anything...Maybe the boot.ini file got corruptted? Go to the start menu then RUN and type MSCONFIG..go to the tab that says BOOT.INI and select check all boot paths or something along those lines...see if it comes up with any errors...

Boot.ini file in msconfig shows everything ok
do you think it could be the e ide card that is in the machine
But if it was it should boot from the hard drive after i tell it to do so with the cdrom

and like i said ealier it is a new install of windows xp, new program and hard drive and same issue as old hdd and old program disk

Figured it out last nite the ultra ide card is bad not allowing the machine t o boot up we are good now, just having a problem with the machine seeing the new ram now as it boots up it sticks on the Gatway opening screen. Tried all combos of the ram by itself on the machine and the only chip that will alow it to boot is the original 128 meg chip of pc133. Any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom