Ocing mobo choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
Hey guys, before my pig of a rig is assembled i have decided to buy myself a cheep motherboard to learn to OC with an as a second rig. Now I am able to get the following at cost in work an i don't intend to OC very far i just need to learn the basics.

Asus P5B
Asus P5K - VM
Gigabyte 965p-s3
Gigabyte 965P-DS3

Any of them any good for learning over clocking with?

Also Cooling I can get a Thermal Take Silent tower at a very good price is it worth getting or can you recommend me a cheep cooling solution?

Thanks for reading guy's.

try to find a board that has a good bios on it

DFI has some great ones, as do the higher end ASUS'

check out reviews for any boards your considering and look at the bios screens

I know that but cheep is what is important at the moment I am already spending a but load of money on my pig this is just going to end up as a computer in a workshop eventually. I am buying this from work so the ones i listed are the ones i have the most confidence in (the p5k vm is a good board the ones i have had problems with where down to crappy shipping) so it needs to be from the above list.

650i's are really cheap and overclock decently (well not Quads)

if you're trying a Quad a Gigabyte 965p-s3 is good, and never NEVER get a VM (Vanilla) Series board... EWW

Get the DS3 over the S3 , its a great board for OCing , my friend has the S3 ill ask him how his OC is. But the DS3 is really famous here on TF with all the E6XXX users.

Nha it's just dual core i will be using on this rig it's nothing fancy just so i can learn the OCing basics and it's a excuse to by yet more parts.

The P5K-VM is a ok board but for a office computer or for light home use I was just listing the ones i have available that i would consider buying. We also have Gigabyte 81865GME-775RH mobo's in but I wouldn't trust one as far as i could throw it.

Get the DS3 over the S3 , its a great board for OCing , my friend has the S3 ill ask him how his OC is. But the DS3 is really famous here on tech forums with all the E6XXX users.

Thanks preacher, I will look more into that board (I got a build on the bench behind me right now with one of them in so i will take a good look at it) keep the chat going on this because just because i am trying to make it cheep doesn't mean i don't want a good board.

That board should be dirt cheap now , and its a great OCer.
As for your case I saw you were looking into TT , in my opinion they are crap I have a generic Cheiftec case , and my GPU idles at 41c and my friends is 55c , we both have the GPU. But whatever you get just remember to go with 120mm fans , and your pretty much set.

The thermal take silent tower is a cooler not a case, it's one massive heatskink with a large fan on.

I don't need a case I got one I can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom