The Jolly Soon to Be Lit Up Green Giant (56k Warning...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

The Water Cooling Guru
So I found this case for sale on craigslist. It's an older enermax server case and from what I can tell by the pics its huge....

Here are pictures of what the case looks like. (Not the particular case I'll be buying, but I digress)

http://www.forumapex.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31760&d=1139060214

http://www.forumapex.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31761&d=1139060214

http://www.forumapex.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31762&d=1139060214

http://www.forumapex.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31766&d=1139060214

Now, I need ideas for what to do to it.

So far what I'm thinking is, Matte black exterior. Gloss red interior. With the door accents being painted red as well.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting petras to donate a water cooling kit to the project.

I'd like to get their logo then cut out of the side panel, backed with acrylic and backlit.

I want to cut a hole in the front of the case, under the drive bays, and if possible mount an antec 200mm big boy fan there.

I'd cut out for a top mounted radiator mounted internally. Hopefully looking at a MCR320.

That's all my ideas for now, your thoughts? I'm paying $40 for the case btw. And the entire thing is steel.

Re: Case mod ideas, inspiration/discussion thread.

well, since its steel, its just guna be a ***** to cut, if possible with your tools (depending on what you own). Also, visit the tbcs forums, its a large case modding community forums with lots of tuts and stuff. Id go ahead and get it half done before asking petra's, from experience, if you show them your halfway there and making progress, there alot more willing then just you tellin them your idea, they have no clue if youll even start and are just screwing them out of a part. If it works well, gratz on a good mod case!

Tip: for painting, use auto paint. Duplicolor is a great brand, and if your using spray paint (if you dont have a hlpv sprayer) cans are about 5 bucks. Grab a few and experiment!

you should try and do a pattern on the outside of it rather then just a single color outside/inside. and defintely put on a case pannel.

well, since its steel, its just guna be a ***** to cut, if possible with your tools (depending on what you own). Also, visit the tbcs forums, its a large case modding community forums with lots of tuts and stuff. Id go ahead and get it half done before asking petra's, from experience, if you show them your halfway there and making progress, there alot more willing then just you tellin them your idea, they have no clue if youll even start and are just screwing them out of a part. If it works well, gratz on a good mod case!

Tip: for painting, use auto paint. Duplicolor is a great brand, and if your using spray paint (if you dont have a hlpv sprayer) cans are about 5 bucks. Grab a few and experiment!

I've done my fair share of painting. No worries there.

I also know the guys down at petras all personally so they do trust me.

For the matte black I found that the .99 crap form home depot gives me the best finish. But for the gloss red, I do know to use the good stuff.

Some ideas, maybe you'll like one or two.

1) cut out the back grate over the fan and create or buy a cool fan grill.

2) I'm using these for my next build but performance PCs has some sweet LED bulgin switches.

Vandal Resistant Switches - 22mm : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Maybe even add a switch plate on that same page from mnpctech.com, they are nice.

3) Replace that black component of the front door with acrylic and etch a cool design in it.

4) Good luck with the 200mm, that would look good. If it doesn't fit then maybe get a duct below and maybe a 120mm blower would work instead. Again, another plan from my next build.

FanDuct

Don't try an cut the hole in steel as thick as that with a dremmel.

youd go through a million blades if you even could cut it with a dremel. If its real thick, youll need a table saw with a diamond blade

just curious, how did you get in close with the guys at petras? i was debating on asking them to sponsor me, but i wasn't going to ask until i was far along in my mod.

I use hole saws and jigsaws exclusively. Never picked up a dremel in my life.

I've been a customer of theirs for a solid 3 years now.

Bought my entire water cooling loop from them and both my aurora cases, not to mention nameless other odds and ends.

And because they were local I'd always go pick my order up and chat with them.

After a while they sponsored some of the lans I put on. And tthe funniest thing is that the one owners girlfriend goes to the same college as me, about 200 miles south of the Bay Area so he actually brought my Gigabyte Aurora 570 down with him when he was visiting over the weekend so I didn't have to pay shipping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom