Windows XP - The OS That Refuses to Go Quietly

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Hexus Source

Microsoft is facing a rather unexpected predicament right now. Its flagship operating system, Windows Vista, faces the prospect of large-scale adoption of low-cost computer systems - many of which simply aren't powerful enough to run Microsoft's latest operating system.

It's a clearly apparent problem, and Microsoft has taken the only course of action currently available; it has extended the life of its older operating system, Windows XP.

XP, first launched back in October 2001, was scheduled to cease shipping on June 30th, 2008, 17 months after the release of Windows Vista. However, having acknowledging the rapid growth of the low-cost computer market, thanks largely to ASUS' popular Eee PC, Microsoft has extended the availability of Windows XP for another two years.

Windows XP Home Edition

The ageing OS will become available as "Windows XP Home", for systems such as ASUS' Eee and Intel's Classmate, through until at least June 2010. Microsoft has also promised to keep Windows XP Home available on such machines for at least a year after its next release of Windows, Windows 7. That could mean we'll still be seeing Windows XP on new systems in 2011 and beyond.

Michael Dix, a general manager for Microsoft's Windows group said:

"There is incredibly strong demand for Windows on these devices, which is obviously great to hear. The reason why they want Windows is, they think of Windows as being a real PC."

Earlier this year, thousands of web users signed an online petition urging Microsoft to extend the shelf-life of its XP software.

Microsoft's third and final service pack for Windows XP is due to launch later this month and the operating system is showing no signs of disappearing in the wake of Windows Vista. Is Vista not a worthy successor or is Windows XP just very very good? In our estimation, it's a bit of both, and a bit of an awkward situation for Microsoft.

XP > Vista

For life, until I see a very significant change in performance and functionality with the next OS.

:p

I still think Vista is better. In some areas. Yes XP runs a bit faster but security wise Vista is better.

Dont matter either way. I use Server 08 as my OS now. :p

server 2008 didn't partition my raid 5 six scsi hdd right. maybe I'll try it on another machine with regular drive

mak you got to admit it now, that vista doesn't work. right that is. a lot of you guys complained and said that xp didn't work right out the box and we should wait and give vista chance. xp really did work out the box, ti was blazing fast. it just wasn't safe or compatible with a lot of stuff. 6 months after xp, the compatiblity issue disappeared. after service pack 1, it got safe.

vista has been out for a year in a half. it still slow and have compatibility issues.

let me tell you what gives me the biggest headache. fixing a virus fill vista machine, when the customer doesn't want to reformat. you have to deal with both the windows headaches and the viruses headaches. I refuse to do that anymore. I just reformat or nothing at all

microcenter will charge you a hundred bucks to get an xp upgrade from a vista machine that you purchase. this is exactly how they word it in the flyer next to their computers for sale.

all of the hardware driver manufacture's has release xp driver for their hardware so people can go back to xp. when vista first came out they refuse to do that as ms was forcing vista on you.

ms is using ASUS' Eee and Intel's Classmate as an excuse to extend xp because truthfully vista doesn't work and xp is experiencing a rebirth. xp disc sell more than vista's for people that just buy the disc. mak, even you don't use it

I know that you have a lot vested in vista, but vista is windows ME junior

Its Alot better Security than XP IMO

I Think Vista is better than XP anyways, Vista is alot better with Wireless than XP is aswell :)

you could get 3rd party software (like vcom systemsuite) to make xp as secure without the headache

you could get 3rd party software (like vcom systemsuite) to make xp as secure without the headache

Yes but you can also add the same software to Vista and make it rock solid compared to XP.

I still will not admit that Vist is a failure. For 2 reasons. 1. This tacits is being done by Microsoft to please the consumer. It even says it in the article that they are doing it cause of the Mini PC's that are gonna be released with XP Home. If they kill XP now those PC's, which will not run Vista, wont have a Windows OS. Microsoft will not allow that to happen. They are bowing to the will of hte consumer.

2. Vista is not a failure cause it does work. I have used it for over a year. I know it works. I know plenty of people who know it works cause we have it working. I have my family who doesnt know PC's using it. My wife uses it and she doesnt know anything about PC's and she loves it. It does work.

There is no reason why you should have to fix a Vista machine with Viruses. I have yet to get one. I dont even have a firewall installed. I just run a anti-virus. Yet i go thru Osiris's guide at least once a week and find nothing. Not a single file out of place. Why it is that i can stay so protected with just NOD32? I do go to those unsavory sites as well. Yet i do not have Viruses. That just tells me that those people know nothing of security and would get a XP machine destroyed let alone a Vista machine.

So the fact that they are running VIsta has nothing to do with it. It is the fact they have no clue about security. If they did they wouldnt have these issues. Just like me and alot of other people do.

Sorry Eric but i do not see how Vista is ME II. No it is not as fast as XP. I have admitted that much. But it does work. You say it doesnt yet i have nothing but proof that it does. I have netowrked it. I have made images of it. I have run the same applicaitons for XP on it and everything worked. Even the driver backup stuff worked on it. the Driver is a issue. I will give you that.

My nVidia drivers for my 8600GT is a prime example. In VIsta they crash and Aero goes under constantly. But those same exact driver, same drivers now, work flawlessly in Server 2008. Which has the same code base just a Server OS. So all they have to do is reverse engineer Server 08 and put out these tings as patches and make Vista work better. If they do it irght, Vista can be even faster than XP. As Server 2008 knocks the pants off XP.

I will give you XP is great. I never said it wasnt. But i still will not admit Vista is a failure cause some people can not figure out how to work it. There are people who still cant work Linux so it that a failure? Same for OS X. Just cause the minority can not use something does not make it a failure. The majority still use it. Vista's userbase is the strongest yet. So something has to be right about it.

Overall XP is faster. But you can not take away the fact that Vista is more secure. Even without UAC. I am glad that everyone gets happy with the fact that XP gets extended. But i am scared for you as well. If Windows 7 doesnt shape up the way you guy s want you will say the same stuff then and this cycle will just start over. It will scare me then as the OS will be 10 years old by then and every hacker from the world over will be able to find flaws in it. Yet everyone will still back it. If Windows 7 doesnt show you guys improvement over XP you folks will hang it out to dry.

I have said my peace. I know that i am alone in almost all of my thoughts. Which doesnt bother me. XP is great. I still use it. But Vista is by no means a failure. It does work.

It is simply, you like XP? Thats great, use XP then, you like vISTA? Thats great, then use Vista..

Which is better is very subjective, so it comes down to the individual person to decide for themselves.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom