Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Area-51

Baseband Member
remember that i wanted to waste 5k in my desktop. now i am planning on spending 5k on 2-3 desktop or laptop for the house.

this are my questions

• which kind of motherboard should I buy Intel or NVIDIA?
  • which processor (CPU) should I buy Q9300, Q9450, Q6600, or Q6700?
  • what 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 memory should I buy?
  • which should I pick? Seagate 7200.11 500GB, 750GB, or 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive? How many?
  • ATI or NVIDIA Graphics Card?
  • what are Channels like 7.1, 5.1 & 2.1 in sound card and speakers?

wait so you wanna put 2-3k into a desktop and the left over money into a laptop? and to answer your questions:

go with either a x38/p35/x48 (only the latter if you want to splurge on ddr3). for a cpu if you're going to oc get a q6700, you don't really need 4gb of ram unless you're doing ram intensive programs like CAD or Rendering of sorts, or intensive photoshop usage. so just get some crucial ballistix ram. the only difference in the hdd's is the size of the hdd so get a drive that fits your needs. get either a 8800 gts 512, or 9800gtx or a 3870x2. and channels are sound channels so its the depth of the sound, so if you want to spend a lot of money on sound, most boards have atleast 5.1 sound, some have 7.1, so just get a speaker setup that matches what you can do max on the board.

yeah but it makes more sense to just get a ddr2 board that isn't really expensive. but i guess he can splurge a bit on it, so he could go for a rampage forumla.

• That would depend. If you're planning to overclock a lot, I'd suggest Intel's P35s and X38s. Nvidia, if you're planning to SLI. And the good ones, would be the 680i A1 and 780i at the moment.
    I am planning to overclock a lot and also crossfire/sli

A lot of choices here. But really, either one you choose, is a great choice. They're all quad, and they're all powerful. which one is overclocks the best?

At this point, Nvidia is ahead, with so many choices out there. Such as the 8800GT, 8800GTS 512, 9600GT, and 9800GTX. Ati's HD 3870 is pretty good and cheap, you can Crossfire them on the cheap.

They are the number of satellite speakers and subwoofer, in a surround sound speaker system.

So a 7.1 for example, has I think, 6 satellites, 1 center, and a subwoofer. The ".1" would probably represent the woofer.

5.1 would have 4 satellites, 1 center, and a woofer.

2.1 is 2 satellites, and a woofer. i know that i mean like if the sound card is a 7.1 it is recommended to use a 7.1 speaker or u can use a different one?

wait so you wanna put 2-3k into a desktop and the left over money into a laptop? maybe 2 desktops and the rest on the laptop(s)and to answer your questions:

you don't really need 4gb of ram unless you're doing ram intensive programs like CAD or Rendering of sorts, or intensive photoshop usage.what is CAD or Rendering of sorts? But don't u need more ram for better gaming and overclock and multitask?

Does the hard drive slow down when less space is available?

if you're going to oc a lot then get either a p35 or x38, see the hardware guides for ideas on what to go with. and the q6600 is the best budget ocer, but the q6700 is good as well. if you have 5.1 you can use 5.1 or 2.1 sound, but you can't use 7.1. also CAD rendering is like graphic rendering if i understand it correctly, but you won't be doing any of it. and 2gb is where most things max out and over 2gb most people don't notice much of a difference.

Area-51 said:
which one is overclocks the best?
The Q6700 would overclock the farthest because it has the highest multiplier out of the bunch. You should wait for a price drop on these.

i know that i mean like if the sound card is a 7.1 it is recommended to use a 7.1 speaker or u can use a different one?
It probably is recommended to get a speaker system that corresponds to the number, but it's not required to. Of course you can use a different one.

what is CAD or Rendering of sorts? But don't u need more ram for better gaming and overclock and multitask?
CAD stands for Computer Aided Design, and it's a program that renders/creates 3D objects and such.

At the moment, I don't think 4GB is needed for gaming and multitasking. I have 2GB, and it's not used up while gaming and multi-tasking. But it also wouldn't hurt, seeing that the kits that I suggested, aren't pricey at all, for the amount of RAM they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom