Computer won't boot/ no video. Possible MOBO issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsta99

Beta member
Hello all,

I have had a fun week with computers. My laptop got a short in it and isn't fixable and then my hard drive in my desktop went bad. Started making a loud click click click sound and wouldn't boot no matter what. I was able to get my data off of it and it was still within warranty with WD so I got a replacement already.

Anyway now I am having a bunch of problems. I just switched everything from the computer over to a new case and just received my new WD hard drive so I figured getting everything set back up shouldn't be a problem. Well I mount the MOBO in the new case and hook everything up as it should be. I go to power it up and everything powers on just fine but I am getting no video. I tried multiple video cards and still nothing. I tried two different monitors (Samsung 204bs) and still nothing. The monitors search for analog and digital signals but nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? The MOBO is an ASUS A8R-MVP, Using a AMD 939 Single Core Processor, 2 GB DDR PC 3200 memory, a 600 Watt Power Supply, and I usually use 2 ATI Radeon 1650 Pro video cards but neither of them work and nothing with my old 1350 vid card either.

I even tried to boot with and without the new HD connected and still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Gangsta99

Does it sound like Windows is trying to load by watching the HD led or simply no boot at all? On the last build here when swapping suppies out you would have thought the new one was bad. When simply unplugging and only very lightly replugging the 12v cpu feed back in the system came to life!

Reinspecting all connections especially the wires from the power, reset buttons down to the board will tell if those went on wrong as well as any standoff in the wrong place touching the board. Those are typical things to look for before assuming the board is done for.

My HD is brand new so no OS on it yet. My MOBO seems to be powering on just fine, I get a green MOBO light and my processor and processor fan are running so I don't think it is a standoff, doesn't that usually cause the board to not power on or to power on for a few seconds and shut off? My system is staying powered on for 20 + minutes with no issues other than the above.

Yeah no BIOS or boot at all. Also no beeps at all from the MOBO when powering on which I thought was odd.

Well I decided to take everything apart for the fourth time and rebuild it again and now everything is working. Thanks though for the help eyeCpc.

What I meant to say earlier was that if everything seemed like it was starting normally you would be looking for a different type of problem possibly a need to reseat the video card.

It was probably a loose contact in a plug or something not pushed on all the way. That happens! At least it was something simple and not... :eek: !!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom