AMD Comes Out Swinging With 2 Quad Chips and a Triple-Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction: 65nm Core 2 quad is faster in the majority of cases than 65nm Agena. Though clock for clock, it isn't generally a big difference.

ya not a big difference. I thought a 9950 was suppose to come out, oh well. I guess ill wait for the holidays n purchase my own 45nm Phenom!

If you ask me, the good news here is to the mobile computing and entry level desktop market. I think a lot of manufacturers will be looking more and more to an AMD solution due to the advantage AMD will offer when it comes to their new integrated graphics model. Looks like AMD is marketing 780G as "Radeon HD 3200" integrated graphics.

Triple core is just a way to sell defective quads. They could sell it as cheap as sempons even and still make more money than throwing em away.
Though its 3 cores for the price of 2, gonna grab the EE phenom x3 wen it comes out.

Why 3 cores?

Coming out with a triple-core processor makes sense for both the company and for consumers looking for multiple cores but holding off on making an investment in four cores -- especially when most software still isn't designed to take advantage of all those cores.

I fail to see how AMD think this.

Consumers either want dual core or quad core. Not in-betwen.

I dunno, Harper. the average consumer looks at the sticker price... "$xxx for a dual-core, $xxxx for a quad. Hmmm, this one has three cores and is $xxx, too." Cha-ching!

AMD is shooting for the mainstream average user with those chips, not the enthusiast.

AMD's been dead in the water for a long time with all their delays and problems. It's exciting seeing that the spark is still there, hopefully fueling the competition even more. AMD is working on 45nm, but it would be wise that they perfect their 65nm technology first. Intel is already ahead on route with 45nm so there's still a lot of ground to cover for AMD.

they have already started to convert their fabs (at least the dresden fab) to 45nm, from what i have read.

AMD is shooting for the mainstream average user with those chips, not the enthusiast.

The mainstream average user is normally asking INTEL INTEL INTEL.
You say the name AMD, and they are like "WHA....?" or "Who are they?"

Dell has turned on quite a few consumers to the AMD name, as has HP. The average user can't tell a difference in top speeds, but they can see the difference on the sticker price. After all, bottom dollar is bottom dollar, especially when the performance is basically the same.

My mom doesn't know the difference between Intel and AMD. She knows Intel makes computer ships, and has heard of AMD. Her old computer died (an Intel, but it was a mobo failure), and I have an old 2400+ box I was going to use for Linux. I told her I would fix it up for her, but it was an AMD. Her response was to ask if it worked, and said, "That's good enough for me." most consumers have the same atttitude... "If it works and gets the job done, it will do."

But, yeah... when I bought my first AMD box I hardly knew a thing about them. I have since learned the wisdom of taking the path less traveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom