Recording Studio rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
My friend and I are looking into building a custom PC strictly for recording music. We're looking to make beats on it as well as record live instruments. The initial budget is around $700 w/out a monitor. Anybody have suggestions of what has worked well in the past? My main hang-up is whether I need to get a good audio card or let an external USB mixer do that.

I was thinking of using Reason 4.0. And Quad-core? Isn't that a bit of overkill? I don't even think Reason will use the 4 cores.

Almost starting from scratch, my friend. It's a theoretical build until we find out how much it'll cost. We have a Akai sampler and some guitars, a mic, am, etc. but we want to do it right and for a good price before diving into it.

Almost starting from scratch, my friend. It's a theoretical build until we find out how much it'll cost. We have a Akai sampler and some guitars, a mic, am, etc. but we want to do it right and for a good price before diving into it.
hmm. I'm in the same situation. I have a band, and we might get some recording crap. I heard that Line 6 has good recording stuff (not their amps though...). a 200 dollar POD XT, and straight into the sound card, then to the interface. It'd be cool to get a rack processor, too imo.

What guitar gear do you use, and out of curiosity, what position are you in the band?

Woo! 1000th post!

No band yet. Just two guys who have been friends for a while. He's been getting into making beats and sampling in the last 2 years and I've been playing guitar for 13 years. We want a quality sounding recording that makes the idea sell itself a little more than some crappy standard software. I was also thinking of using a Soundblaster-like external input through USB to plug all our gear into. The more tools we have, the more likely the creative process will grow. These days a rack system almost isn't a necessity through software....at least to start with.

hmm...

just wondering, what type of music is it, and your set up.

What is really needed, is an external device to balance the amount of ohm's going into the computer. For the heck of it, throw an EQ pedal/device infront of it to balance the noise.

The type of music is really not justified with one category. We wanna use samples, synths and really any sound we can try and create to make music. I guess you can go ahead and rule out classical, gospel and the likes. Think mainstream but not pop.....if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom