Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
VR-Zone Source

Weird and interesting concept...looks like they just chopped off the top of a Xigmatek HDT cooler. I'd like to see testing done on this. Might not be practical?...but it sure looks cool.

20080404_c8663071d8ee2561cad2CAgrwwCQFOtR.jpg

20080404_b3b6bae6aef0cd91861f3shzj7fo0Dbr.jpg

20080404_7583547e778685c35876KRXglgP8oY8M.jpg

20080404_82ca86b44a2d520f62e0JaIoKXQ0War0.jpg

20080404_d85774dbcdc9e3dde17dNDd7AckB2RYb.jpg

Seems kind of counterproductive to keep running the already warmed water back through the cooler.

Seems kind of counterproductive to keep running the already warmed water back through the cooler.

No it's not. Your car radiator does exactly the same thing. At each loop in the radiator addtional heat is released because of the differences in the fluid temps and ambient air temperatures. The number of "loops" has a cooling treshold which is defined by fluid cooler engineering physcis of whcih I am not privy.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal to split the incoming supply into four and run it straight through, and then merge back to one on the way to the radiator. If someone is really hardcore, they could use two separate loops for it... or even four. >.<

Basically, someone just cut the bottom off of a heatsink for it, but it is a neat idea.

Tubing is a terrible conductor of heat. so that wouldn't really do much in the way of cooling the liquid.

This heatsink wouldn't perform on par with any of the current offerings, the reason being that there is no channel or fin or pin area to help dissipate heat.

Ya, but thats different. Each of these loops isnt being cooled by anything.

Huh? I'm not being contentious but yes it is....ambient air. As long as ambient air is less than that of the fluid temperature in any of the pipes there will be a heat exchange (Boyles Law, i'm thingking if I get my brian back to my physics classes...or not!). Although I agree that coil number four is gonna be hot! If they were just routed to the same pipe on either side I could see your point but the pattern is a radiator spiral. Anyway, I think it looks pretty cool myself. (pun was unintentional) And, if there is a radiator at some distant point form the CPU radiator then it should work okay I'm thinkin'.

maybe they should make the middle heat pipes curve into each other with added copper? rather then having plain tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom