arcgis build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonalwaysready

Daemon Poster
my company is getting me a new computer. i normally beat on it with some calculation intensive stuff (the current 3Ghz HT) will take about 20 minutes to run some of the things i make it do, and another is arcgis, which i THINK i cpu intensive, and doesnt really bother with video card, except i need the dual monitor support. they have to be prefabs and it looks like dell is the choice around here. cant be an inspiron (told wasnt an option...), but must be the business class optiplexs (which i cant understand why they are twice the price for half the performance...) or other of 'higher' quality

im trying to do some convincing for (out of my options in the prefabs):
$1322 dell precision t3400
q6600
2Gb ddr2 ram 667
256 Mb nvidia quadro fx570

but, for cost reasons, maybe:
$1246 dell optiplex 755 minitower
E6550
2Gb ddr2 ram 800
256 Mb ati 2400 xt

please help :)

Will they consider one of Dell's Vostros? You can configure one of them with a Q6600, 2 gig RAM, 8600GT for $1009. That's bumping up the optical to a burner, as well, with the base 160 GB HD.

Vostros are meant for small or home buisness, the Optiplex is meant for large to enterprise buisness's, which is probably why they want him to get the optiplex.

We just got our GIS person a new machine with a q6600 and 2gb of memory and she says its flying compared to her old dual core with 1gb. Not sure offhand what video card it has. Lemme look real quick.

WTF it only has a 7600GT. Cheap retards.

thanks all. theyre getting a precision workstation something with the q6600 and 2gb800 and an 8600 gt. i think with all the stuff they wanted its going to be around $1350. this is going to be awesome, but transferring/ sorting files wont be fun... oh well

im glad i was let in on it or they were going to get some dual cores @ 1.8 Ghz and a gig of ram....

thanks again

I'm still waiting for my new machine to come in. Using a dinky e6600 with 512 of memory and onboard video right now :( Boss ordered me a new "top end" machine, so waiting to see what he ordered :)

Yo, Jason... have them put the old hard drive in an external enclosure so you can access/transfer them as needed, and then you can wipe it and just use it for extra storage.

Heck, for that matter, just pull the drive and put it in the new machine. Dont even really need to do the external enclosure.

no can do. my old will become someone elses new. documents and files i can just put on the server and bring them back. its the several 100 programs from ccleaner to ....all kinds of stuff, not to mention the 10 different huge programs i use everyday thats going to be the hassle of reinstalling.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom