running a little to hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Baseband Member
does anyone know what I can do or use on my processor to cool it down a little?I have an AMD 2600+ cpu running at about 132f at idle,that is very hot compared to what it ran on my old motherboard (about 89f)I dont know why the change in motherboard has affected it like this,althouth the new mb has a seperate power hook up for the cpu only.I am running a copper heatsink rated for a 3400+,but I did have to replace the oem heatsink compound with arctic silver I had,would that be the diff ?

MicroBell is correct. Some motherboards/BIOS need to be updated to calibrate the temp. sensor properly.

You can start by adding intake/exhaust fans, sleeving for wires, etc. Anything to make space and keep proper air flow.

When you run up windows then shut down, what temp is your cpu then, anything over 70 is too hot. If its around 55-60 then its ok, that what mine usally runs at.

yes I have a 120mm case fan and it really moves alot of air and it still gets hot I will recheck the seating on my cpu and I do know according to MSI live monitor my motherboard has an update to get so I guess I can get it to see if that helps.Thanks

have u changed the thermal material on replacing the CPU? arctic silver does brings down temperature, as if effectively applied following guide lines.

Are your fans getting enough power? Secondly, make sure you have enough case fans in there to ensure adaquate air flow.

yes I have only 1 case fan the 120mm 3 hdd`s 2 cd roms,but the power supply is a 500,so that shouldn`t be a problem for it to support what I have in it I wouldn`t think oh yeah and the video card has a molex conn also,I updated the bios and the new reading is down by a few degrees,it is now running at 129 a few degrees down from th previous 132,I think I will try to take the arctic silver off and try another compound I have here and see what that does,thanks

hey cool I got it guys a little better anyway,I changed the heatsink compound to this cheap stuff that the pc shop gave to me lol,you know the old paste,well it went from 132 to 122 in windows,even cooler than that in the bios,so thats not as bad not as good as i want but much better,I think I can live with that,ah who am I trying to kid I will get a better fan or something later lol,and put the case fans back in I guess,had 4 more in case,but wanted to try to get rid of some noise,which turns out isnt easy with a dual fan power supply,thanks for the posts and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom