Computer restarting before Windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgil

Beta member
This problem has just recently arisen. Last night I was using my computer, and allowed it to shut down normally. Today, when I turn it on the motherboard (asus a7n8x deluxe) POSTed fine, detecting all my hardware and then proceeded to the Windows XP Professional loading screen. After a few seconds, without a sound the screen goes blank, and the system restarts itself, rePOSTing again and then gives me the option to restart windows normally, in safe mode, most recent working config. etc. I tried all of these options but shortly afterwards, the computer restarts itself again. I've tried restarting without either of my CD rom drives connected or powered, and with only one of each of my 2 sticks of RAM. I'll post my system specs down below for reference, but I'm afraid that I have a corrupt Windows system file, and that I may have to format. Any help that you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD XP 2500+
1024 Kingston RAM
120 GB Seagate Serial ATA
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
D-Link Wireless adaptor

I'm not sure how to check that since I can't get into windows, but I'll try that out, thanks.

I've tried restarting in both Safe mode, and using my last known good configuration, neither of which have worked. I tried holding down shift during startup, but I got the same thing :( .

Every time the system restarts, it goes to the screen with the options to restart in safe mode, restart normally, restart using last known good configuration etc, none of which work. The cursor is on restart normally by default, and counts down from 30 seconds unless a selection is made.

It is value ram I believe now that I think about it. By PSU do you mean power supply? If so it's a 400 watt Antec. I've tried to run the recovery console from my XP Pro CD, but after loading some initial files, it tells me that my Hard Disk isn't powered on or connected, even though it clearly is and I haven't touched it since it worked 2 days ago. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem, or due to something such as the fact that my HDD is Serial ATA instead of IDE. I've tried removing everything from the MB except for a stick of RAM, the CPU and the video card, but I got the same problem. I think I'm going to try formatting an older HDD, installing XP on it and slaving the other drive to this one so I can save some of my most recent files, and then format the old drive. Anyway, thanks for the responses so far guys, hopefully I can get this worked out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom