What hard drive SCSI or Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurin

Solid State Member
Im going to build a new comp and want a really fast one.

This computer started with one HD (ATA100) then I put a second one in on the RAID controller. The performance inprovement was VERY good.

Now for my new one I was thinking of getting two SCSI 320 10K and a RAID controller.

My question is will a standard 32bit PCI bus at 133mb/s keep up with the SCSI drives. Or would I be better off with a serial 10k drive.

Any info/web pages would be very helpful.

Thanks Aurin Craft

I'd definately go serial. Much newer and easier to understand than SCSI. I've recently worked with serial in creating a mirror array and it moved data very quickly.

SCSI used to be really fast, but the new ATA's are making that a non-issue. A good ATA drive will be plenty fast. Plus, when you're looking at SCSI, there's that major COST issue. (ie, they are expensive!)

I once bought a 18gig SCSI for a server at work, and for the same price I bought a 80gig serial.

I just recently purchased two 74GB 10K RPM WD Raptor HDDs and am VERY happy with their performance. Like ShoobieRat and silence782 said, I too believe SATA is the new way to go. I would also have to say that RAID arrays used for performance increases don't really help much on a home system.

Read this link for more info.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=1

This swayed me from going RAID, instead I have 2 WD Raptors set up on two different SATA interfaces. One with OS files and the other with Paging file/game files. Hope that helps.

SCSI was not designed for the home user. They are a completely different format than (s)ata. They are loud and get quite hot.

The WD Raptors outperform the SCSI.

None of the SCSI's I got running right now are loud(er) or hot(er) than anything else running in the server room. I don't know if I wouldn't have one running at home, but I already know I wouldn't because their sizes are large enough and their cost would mean I'd have to stop eating for the rest of my life and 30 years after to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom