cdrw won't read/write

Status
Not open for further replies.

gailee

Solid State Member
New hard drive installed w/ winxp sp2.

I have TDK CDRW241040B w/ updated firmware. It is installed alone (as TDK advises) on the 2nd IDE. it will play an audio cd but will not see a data disk nor, obviously, copy to it. The same issue as when it is a slave on 1st IDE or slave on 2 IDE. A hard drive will run on the 2nd IDE. I have tried several connector cables.

When i set it up w/ my USB enclosure, EVERYTHING works!! i can play audio, read data disks, install prog, copy and erase.

i have done all the troubleshooting in the world (MS site articles, registry changes, troubleshooting sites like these).

i had the same problem before i installed the new HDD.

UPDATE: now it WONT play audio. it did a few days ago

So it will work from a USB Enclosure but not Internally? This sounds like a hardware issue i will move it as i have no idea what to to other than leave it as a External.

you motherboard might have ide issues. try unistalling and reinstalling the drivers. try it on another computer

So it will work from a USB Enclosure but not Internally? This sounds like a hardware issue i will move it as i have no idea what to to other than leave it as a External.

i could but its always been internal. just would like to figure out why this is happening.

you motherboard might have ide issues. try unistalling and reinstalling the drivers. try it on another computer

it worked on another computer 2 wks ago. i think (ive done so much) i tried uninstall & reinstalling drivers. is it done thru device mgr? it not tell me how, ill try anything. but a hard drive works on the ide.

thanks all for your input. i am going to put this drive away now since this puzzle is not going to be solved soon.

i now have other issues to deal with.

thanks all for your input. i am going to put this drive away now since this puzzle is not going to be solved soon.

i now have other issues to deal with.

I missed your response. yse uninstall your secondary ide driver in device manager and reboot. you might just have a bad mobo. try it on another machine again. I had a similar issue b4 and it was the ide slots

I missed your response. yse uninstall your secondary ide driver in device manager and reboot. you might just have a bad mobo. try it on another machine again. I had a similar issue b4 and it was the ide slots

i am seriously thinking it is the mobo since all the problems i am having today. ahh. yet another project. ive never done a mobo b4 so this will require some research. oh better yet, i'll use the other computer i was going to give away!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom