First build, need helping hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jantar

Baseband Member
Hi,
I need a new computer and decided to build it myself for the first time.

It's supposed to be just a general desktop, plus:
  • I want to be able to run VMWare or other virtualization programs comfortably, Linux as the host OS and Windows and maybe others as guests. (I'm newb at this but hope to learn :))
  • It should compile code fast.
  • Should be Linux compatible.
  • As to the graphics, I'm not a gamer but some light gaming won't hurt. Also it should play videos comfortably.
Overclocking - maybe in the future when I learn how to do it.

Please give me your opinion on the parts I've picked so far:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120 or other? Which one is easier to install?

Mobo: Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Ram: don't know (2x2GB I guess)

GPU: I thought about 8600GT as I've read it has low power requirements. What do you think?

HDD: I've heard it's good to have two hard drives for running virtual machines especially with Raptor as a boot drive but it's a rather expensive solution. Do you think, it's worth it? Should I go with:
  1. Raptor + a second 7200 drive ?
  2. two 7200 ?
  3. one 7200 ?
DVD: don't know, please suggest one

PSU: Corsair 450VX or 520HX or other?

Case: I'd like the system to be silent so I thought about Antec P182. Is it worth the price? And has it room enough for that Xigmatek heatsink or even TRUE 120?
Another option: CM Centurion 532, or CM 690. Which one is better and are they roomy enough? Any other quiet cases?

Please suggest some good and cheap keyboard for a touch-typer and a good mouse for X11 (3 buttons with a wheel, I guess).

I can't buy from newegg but feel free to post links, as I can get the specs from there and the idea of the price.

Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

8600 is not bad for light gaming

But for a little more you can get 8800GS, which performs twice as fast.

Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

And for the hard drive, I recommend new 640GB HDD from westren digital. It performs as good as raptor, cheaper, consume less power, and has more storage
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OK, I will drop that Raptor idea and look where I can find that Caviar or
Seagate 7200.11 in Poland. But do you think I should buy 1 or 2 of them?

How that 8800GS compares to 8600GT in terms of power requirements?
I'm especially interested in the low power use while idle.
I also thought about 9600GT ?

Thanks maroon!

the 8800gs will consume more power, but its still better to go with the 8800gs because it kills 8600gt's in games, a Corsair 450vx is fine if you don't overclock (but if you push the q6600 to 3.0ghz, its still enough power) if you want to overclock to its max try to get a Corsair 520hx (but the PC Power and Cooling 610 is cheaper on Newegg and is cheaper)

agreed with Maroon on Raptor HD's.... /thumbsdown!!

also for Optical Drives, do you want a DVD-RW or just a DVD Reader, and the best ones are Pioneer and Plextor in the business, but also noteworthy its probably one of the most priciest, so get a Lite-On DVD Drive or LG drive

make sure to get a 7200.11 32mb drive. dont get a 16mb. other than that, they got you covered

I think I'll stick with 8600GT; 8800GS is also pretty long, not sure how it would fit in Antec P182.

Yes, I need DVD-RW drive. As to the PSU I'll get 520hx or PC P&C 610
or 550vx depending on the price.

Thanks all for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom