8800GTX or 9800GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I want to say straight up I'm not up to speed on video cards. I was about to buy the 8800GTX since it's under $300 with rebates, but then I noticed the 9800GTX is out for just over $300.

What is the difference?

I will be gaming, and I will be purchasing 2 video cards for 2 systems. Both systems have 28" LCD panels. (One is for my girl)

Both systems have Antec 650 watt True Power Trio PSU's, with 3 of th 12v rails. I don't really want to upgrade a PSU if I don't have too.

Any help on the decesion is appreciated.

I'm not really an expert of any kind on this so I'll ask a generic question.

What do you intend to use the card for? General use, HD videos, Video Games, All of the above?

Also, 28"? Isn't that kind of huge?

If you find them for the same price then go for the better card. Who cares what the purpose is for the 9800GTX will be better in performance and probably worth more in the future.

Well depending on his usage he might not need either of those. Maybe he would be better off with a cheaper card. Maybe 2 cheaper cards in SLI or something. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Its kind of obvious the 9800GTX is better than the 8800GTX but given the way Nvidia names stuff who really knows (besides everyone on here).

Yep, will be doing 1920x1200 res.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the 9800gtx was good for the higher resolutions. Unless anyone else thanks the 9800gtx is better I'll order my 8800gtx this weekend.

I'm not sure you would really have too many problems with high res using the 9800gtx but you'll have even less problems with the 8800gtx.

I'm not sure on the specific details so can anyone say how two 9600GTs in SLI would fare against an 8800gtx? They're about the same price.

The 9800 keeps up with the 8800 in almost EVERY benchmark including gaming, runs cooler and uses less power. If its between the 2, take the 9800GTX solely because the 8800GTX is at end of life. 9600GT's do pretty good in SLI if the game supports SLI, just remember that if you use more than 1 monitor, SLI will disable the ability.

Also, the only time that the 8800GTX BEATS the 9800GTX is when they crank up AA to like 16x which is just retarded at a high resolution anyway.

Get the 9800GTX mainly for the lower energy usage and less heat. Other than that it runs pretty even with the 8800GTX, only about 10% faster overall at its best.

The 9800 keeps up with the 8800 in almost EVERY benchmark including gaming, runs cooler and uses less power. If its between the 2, take the 9800GTX solely because the 8800GTX is at end of life. 9600GT's do pretty good in SLI if the game supports SLI, just remember that if you use more than 1 monitor, SLI will disable the ability.

Also, the only time that the 8800GTX BEATS the 9800GTX is when they crank up AA to like 16x which is just retarded at a high resolution anyway.

The whole problem with the GX2 being worse than the 8800GTX was that the GX2 doesn't have as much memory. So in crysis when you use any AA over 2x on high resolution it hurts performance. So although rare he could come across problems at that high a resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom