Monitor switches to standby on powerup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Solid State Member
Hi
OK... I am new to this so here goes...
When the PC is first powered up, the monitor switches on and then immediately switches to standby mode. If I turn the monitor off and then on, it switches to standby again. The only way to get it to work is to hit the reset button on the pc and do a reset. The PC then restarts and all is fine..... untill I shutdown completely then it all starts again. Is this a problem with the graphics card??? I also seem to be getting a lot of BSOD errors...Can anybody help?????

PC Spec:
motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (875P)
Processor - Intel P4 3.2GHz prescott
Memory - 1GB PC3200 DDR400 working in dual channel mode
Graphics card - Leadtek Winfast A360TDH NVIDIA Geforce FX5700
Hard drive - Maxtor Diamondplus9 160Gig SATA150
CD RW
DVD RW
O/S Windows XP Pro

I also have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR350 card installed.

Win Tv has always caused me problems. Try removing the Wintv card. then powering up. If you have another graphics card in there to replace an onboard one then pull the jumpers from the motherboard set it all back to its orignal settings, then run of normall graphics.

Or if your getting lots og BSOD's then the first thing that i would recomend is to FORMAT the bloody thing. Always works for me. Also check you dont have a shared APG/PCI slot for wintv, grpahics. Would completly throw you PC.

My recomendation is to format. Simple.

There is no onboard graphics on this mobo so got to have graphics card... I have tried re-formatting the hard drive and reloading windows... Microsoft are suggesting I have a driver problem but they don't say which driver is causing it....

Pull the plug on the bios, its a simple thing, just remove it and put it back in. It clears your BIOS, your pc rebiulds it. Check in your bios to see if there is anything about putting the monitor on standby, if not remove battery or jumper to bios to see if that solves the problem.

"Microsoft are suggesting I have a driver problem..."

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Microsoft providing actual help. LOL

BTW...is this a flatscreen monitor?

Lucky first check in your Power management (through the control panel) that you dont' have the monitor to turn off automatically after a certain number of minutes. I doubt that's the case, but double check it to be certain. While you're in there, click on the Hibernate tab of the power management and make sure that Hibernate is NOT checked.

Assuming this is a hardware related problem, you can open up your case and take some basic steps like cleaning out any dust you find. You need to make sure the graphics card is seated firmly in the slot. Even it looks like it, remove the card carefully and blow out any dust you find. Make sure it's void of any dust before you re-seat the card.

Boot up the PC and go into your BIOS menu. Make sure that ACPI is enabled and PnP OS option is checked Yes.

Hi Guys
Thanks for all of your help.
I have now sorted the monitor problem.... I have a Belkin 2 port KVM switch...Have removed it and monitor now works ok...
Still getting BSOD though, says there is a problem with... quote "NTFS.SYS Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area" . Any ideas?
Should I start a new thread here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom