Some Nvidia GPUs Might See End of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
HardOCP Source

For those wondering if the almost-just-launched GeForce 9800 GX2 would be sticking around for a while, don't bet on it. Seems as if it will go EOL somewhere around the end of June or July, depending on sales, or lack thereof. The just-launched GeForce 9800 GTX will be evaluated for EOL in the same time frame. Should AMD's RV700 performance look to be a threatening part to Team Green, we will then see the “9900 GTX” be brought to life.

So this would all seem to tell us that we should expect AMD's next-gen Radeon around the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3 time frame…this year.

The ever-popular GeForce 8800 GT will be renamed the 9800 GT and be given some of the additional, but not yet functional features of Hybrid SLI. There will be some lower end migrations of 8600 series parts to GDDR3 memories and they will get bumped to 9500 series names. And certainly the GeForce 9600 GT will be left the **** alone through year end in order to continue its marathon sales crusade! And some of those 100,000 “8800 GS” GPUs are still floating around after having been out of the reach of even folks with 10 foot poles…enter the GeForce 9600 GSO (Gpu Still Offensive?).

excessive swearing there man... you must be missed (with a "P")

does that mean the 9800gt will be our new 8800gt and will the HD4870 be our new HD3870?

Yeah I am pretty upset (not really, I don't see why anyone would be legitimately emotional about computer hardware, but I do firmly believe now that Nvidia is led by a bunch of retards)

I hope this retardedness doesn't seep into the minds of ATI - I personally think that the 4xxx series is going to be bad

I don't like it when Nvidia reigns supreme (but I will gladly use their hardware when it's faster)

I thought the 8800GS was some limited quantity thing like the 2900PRO?
ATi's doing the same thing, renaming their 2400 to 3450 and 2600 to 3650 but from 65nm to 55nm. Well your board as a parent, the most fun thing you can do is rename your children.

really, I am not mad. whatever, put out good hardware, im ok. try to beat the competition. and currently nvidia is doing that. they are way ahead of ati (if the 9900gtx can really beat out a gx2) and if the 4xxx doesn't reallY* do well. Then who cares what the names are. We just happen to be early adapters..

and hahahaha rename kids. that is great

LOL!

funny article :p....

OMG -_- 9800 GT....

So basically what will this be? hmm let's see... an OC'd 8800 gt with tri sli capabilities? Why does this seem familiar?

the 9800gtx out performs the 8800gts preaty well in every game benched so far, and out does a ultra by just a tad. its also the fastest card to run crysis, even outperforming the 9800gx2. the 9800gtx is also curently teh same price as the 8800gts512mb and is 11% faster on average then the 8800gts 512mb at 1680x1050 res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom