crazy booting problems (emphasis in the "s")

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiancds

Baseband Member
this one's an odd one, even for me but here goes.
(getting all my problems up at once so sorry in advance)

i turn on the computer with the regular button, and nothing happens
then i hit the tiny restart button then everything comes on normally

that said,
before i hit the restart button, something in the case isn't on and i haven't been able to determine what. (i know this because once i hit the restart button something powers on and it becomes loud, (like a fan just turned on, but my fan was on before i hit the restart button.))

beyond the booting problem, before windows xp loads, it always says that overclocking failed. i've tried to set it to a profile, manual and auto in the bios
i don't even want it overclocked it just keeps coming up

beyond that, occasionally it will say a disk read error occurred
(what the heck does this mean and how do i stop it.)

from memory my specs are:
amd athlon 64 processor 2 ghz
asus a8sx motherboard
nvidia geforce 6600 xe graphics card
a modem
two optical drives:
nec something and
HP DVD940I 18x Internal DVD Burner LightScribe
500 gb western digital hard drive
350 watt power supply
new wireless card (had problems before i put that in)

i'm also pretty sure i need more fans because mine gets hot, (like 50*c) so i often leave the cover of
(temp monitored with speedfan)

i'm at college all day to day so maybe tommorrow i'll try to look up what my specs really are and post them

you should also know that this computer has been having one problem after another

off the topic of my catastrophic computer problems,

can anyone point me in the direction of information on understanding computer hardware parts (things like all the numbers on a processor (like that +3200) or motherboard or hard drive)

thanks

how old in years is this about?...

I would say 100%....it's your PSU...the whirring...more often suggests the psu is attempting to fully engage...and with yours, it does....sometimes

get another one...or you can get an aux psu like I use

aim for 500, give or take 50

Also you state that occasionally you get a "Disk Read Error" message which would also point to a faulty, or soon to be faulty hard disk or possibly the connection to/from your hard disk.

Edit: If you have your XP CD you could also try a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom