Taking apart a cd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndpndnt

Beta member
Anybody ever taken apart a lite-on cd/dvd drive? ldw-811s is specifically what I'm dealing with. The drive leaves a sticky ring on discs that are inserted, so I was going to take it apart and clean it, but can't quite get it all the way broken down...any help would be appreciated...thanx!

Heh, ya ive had to open quite a few cd drives. The kids had a tendancy to PUSH them closed and sometimes the cd wouldnt be all the way in the drive. Nothing like having to clean out a shattered cd from a drive.

Heh, ya ive had to open quite a few cd drives. The kids had a tendancy to PUSH them closed and sometimes the cd wouldnt be all the way in the drive. Nothing like having to clean out a shattered cd from a drive.

lol. Yeah, a CD-R shattered in one of my CD-RW drives before. Sounded like a gunshot. Scared the life outta me. Was transferring data at the time. Some fragments fired right out the front bezel. Luckily, no one was in the firing line. Turned out the disc was damaged in the first place (it was chipped in the centre ring).

I took it apart and there were many shards of plastic everywhere. None of the drive components were damaged though. Was able to glue together the broken front bezel and re-assemble the drive and it still works today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom