Extending partition in Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

At the moment I have a 37 GB Western Digital hard drive with Vista and XP dual booted on it. I am running out of space obviously since the drive is so small. I'm going to buy another drive to put XP on. I deleted my XP partition and right now it is setup as unallocated space. I want to extend my Vista partition to take up this unallocated space, I want it to use the whole hard drive, all 37 GB. The unallocated space is 10 GB. The disk management tools in Vista will not let me extend the Vista partition to include this 10 GB space. Are there any free tools I can use to do this? I tried formatting the unused 10GB space as an NTFS partition but it still won't let me extend my Vista partition to include this space.

I would really prefer not to have to wipe the whole hard drive and install Vista again.

Gparted LiveCD version 0.33. Free and will do this.

I booted into Gpart and it shows that my 37GB Raptor has nothing but unallocated space on it....as in no partitions. Which obviously is not true since I was just in Vista. Do I need a different version of Gpart?

SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

That is the one you downloaded and burned? 0.3.3.0? If so then you might have to try something like ERD Commander or Acronis Disk Director. As it should show your partitions.

That version of Gpart didn't work either.

I've got a copy of Super Win PE that has ERD Commander 2003, I'll try that before I download the new version.

I am pretty sure i mentioned Acronis Disk Director back in post 4. Right after ERD Commander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom