Data recovery problem... help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiss

In Runtime
Hey all,

A few weeks ago my old PC died (I think I narrowed it down to the MOBO or CPU). Anyway, I just built a new machine and wanted to get some data off of my old drives. I have an 80GB external drive that I took apart to so I could use the enclosure as a mounting for 2 other drives I have, one (another) 80GB and one 250GB.

So I plug in the 80GB drive (formally an internal drive) to the external enclosure (firewire) and everything is fine.... I was able to get the data I needed off of the drive. But when I did the same thing with the 250GB, I am not able to access the drive! Windows "sees" it in the device manager, says it is working, but I don't have any access to the drive at all. I would really like to get the data....

Does anyone know what I need to do?

Last week I recovered ALL the data of a dead drive by using a free software written by the Linux guys( thank god for them!). The ERD Commander($1,000 +) from Winternals did not work, however this little program did it.
Im going to re read the rules to see if I can post you the link or not. If not, PM me and Ill let you know. Its the best I have used so far.

If it's the freeware link you're going to post, I don't see a problem in you posting in, since it's already free. If you're thinking about posting a link to ERD, though...I'd think twice about posting it out in the open (PM it) ;).

Hey, thanks Carnagex. The name of the program is Testdisk( just do a google search). For me it worked wonderfully. Im not going to post the link even though I did read the rules again and concluded that since its free, posting it would not brake them ( please somebody correct me if Im wrong).

Hope this can help moissis.

Cheers!

thanks.... I'll take a look.

But I'm pretty sure the hard drive isn't dead.... it should still work though?

I am 99% sure it will work. I just recovered "lost" data from another HDD that was spinning but apparently the onboard elecronics were dead because no PC was able to see it. Not even in the BIOS or as an external USB drive. The ERD commander did not work either on this one but guess what, the free Testdisk from that French Genius programmer( sorry, forgot his name) did the job flawlessly.
Man I hope it does the same for you.

good luck!

OK,

So I tried Testdisk and was able to recover some of the files.... mostly pictures and stuff. But the other stuff (that I can't get) is more important.

So I think the problem is that the HD was set up as a dynamic disk (I don't know why, it wasn't in a raid array or anything else) and windows sees it as "Foreign" when I connect it to my new computer. My BIOS sees it, the device manager sees it, and the disk manager sees it, but there is a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point and it says that the drive is dynamic/foreign. I right clicked on the drive and executed the "Import foreign drive..." command but got this error...

INTERNAL error- the disk group contains no valid configuration copies (C10000B6)

Any ideas?

Thanks Snake..... I realized after looking at the step by step that I was using testdisk wrong LOL (stupid me)! Anyway, I got it all and was able to revert the disk back to a "basic" disk without harming the data! So thanks so much! Testdisk kicks A$$!!!!!!!!

I told you man. That is the best ( of the few) that I have used so far. It even beat ERD ( at least for what I needed to do). Im glad I coul help you and you got your data back -well, in reality it was Christophe GRENIER, the one that wrote the program. I just told you about it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom