Problem Connectiing and running duel displayes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harleyd2900

Solid State Member
I am using a cheap Acer lap-top with a ATI Radion Xpreess 1100 graphics card. I am running on an XP operating system.

Problem:
I have several movies stored on my computer and wished to display them on my 46in HD LCD TV. So I ordered a HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter so that I could hook up my lap top to my tv. After hooking everything up i opened the Catalist Control Center. The program did not, however, recognize my TV. I have fought with it for hours now and am at a complete loss. I wish now to pick the minds of men who know more of this than I. So I have come here.

Thank you for your time.
Jimmy

Hello,

Some vital questions:
  • What Acer laptop model do you have / what video output ports are there on your laptop?
  • What LCD TV do you have / what video input ports do you have on your LCD TV?
  • How have you connected your laptop to your TV (what are the inputs/outputs and the cables/adapters used?).
If you've connected your HD LCD TV to your laptop using a HDMI to DVI adapter coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter, then this won't work because HDMI is a digital interface, and isn't capable of handling analogue data sent through the VGA to DVI adapter from the VGA port on your laptop.

Depending on the available video input and output ports, you'll need to connect your LCD TV in a different way.

Hello,

Some vital questions:
  • What Acer laptop model do you have / what video output ports are there on your laptop?
  • What LCD TV do you have / what video input ports do you have on your LCD TV?
  • How have you connected your laptop to your TV (what are the inputs/outputs and the cables/adapters used?).
If you've connected your HD LCD TV to your laptop using a HDMI to DVI adapter coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter, then this won't work because HDMI is a digital interface, and isn't capable of handling analogue data sent through the VGA to DVI adapter from the VGA port on your laptop.

Depending on the available video input and output ports, you'll need to connect your LCD TV in a different way.

I have the Acer Aspire 3050 - 1118 Laptop. The only video output on my computer is VGA. The TV is a Sonny Bro via LCD Projection. It appears to have just about any input you can think of. You were correct on how I hooked it up, and I guess thats not going to work. How would you suggest me hooking it up?

no, you would connect an s-video adapter to your laptop (the red whit and yellow cable connects into the adapter then connects to your tv.

no, you would connect an s-video adapter to your laptop (the red whit and yellow cable connects into the adapter then connects to your tv.

Ah but my laptop doesn't have an s-video port. Do you mean there are adapters that go vga > s-video > Audio video cables ? You wouldn't happen to have a picture in a link or something? I don't think I am following you.

I have the Acer Aspire 3050 - 1118 Laptop. The only video output on my computer is VGA. The TV is a Sonny Bro via LCD Projection. It appears to have just about any input you can think of. You were correct on how I hooked it up, and I guess thats not going to work. How would you suggest me hooking it up?

I'm assuming you mean a Sony Bravia? If so, what model?

If your TV has VGA input, then just use a VGA cable to connect you laptop to the TV.

all laptops usually have s-video,,,, its a small circle with a cup holes in it...if your tv has vga why did you not try this from the beginning (so i have to assume he does not have tv vga alvin.)

all laptops usually have s-video,,,, its a small circle with a cup holes in it...if your tv has vga why did you not try this from the beginning (so i have to assume he does not have tv vga alvin.)

He did say that his TV 'appears to have just about any input you can think of'. But still, I'm not certain on what video input ports he has on his TV, or what TV he has for that matter. Not too clear on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom