Computer acting funny..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmo0n

Techalicious
Ok well it started about 2 weeks ago and my computer would boot but no show display and the LED's wouldn't light up on the front for about 30 seconds.

Now i just unplugged some the peripherals like 1 stick of ram and my wireless card and it worked fine. Later i put them back in and it was still fine.

Then the next day it did the same thing but this time with a beep code, either:

1 longish beep, 3 short beeps
1 longish beep, 4 short beeps

Now i searched them and they where ram related (95% sure) but I'm sure its not my ram if you keep reading on.

As a last ditch effort to get my computer running so i could play some games i took the battery out and tapped it with a screwdriver, later learning that its the metal thing that sits under the battery that your suppose to touch.

Anyway i booted and it worked (reseting my overclocks and me having to do them again and go through all this unnecessary stuff that i won't tell you about because you will /tl;dr.

Now it worked fine until today it started up again, this time i tried the battery and it worked (touching both the connector thing and the battery with metal) and it showed display and worked, but then i checked bios (which was fine) and when i exited it wouldn't show display and the led thing again :freak:

Well this time i unplugged my CD drive and it worked fine.

What i am thinking is maybe a power supply issue or CD drive interference.

Any suggestions? (working fine at the moment with no CD, don't need it :) )

Well it did it again. Sister restarted the computer.

Did the battery thing and it worked? Anyone have any ideas :?

It obviously not cd drive interference.

1 long beep and 3 shorts ones would indicate a memory problem. Sometimes these can intermittent so I'm not surprised it works from time to time. Use one stick of ram individually and see if this fixes your problem. Try each of your sticks and test them in different ram slots to rule out the possibility of the ram slots on yer mobo being bad. It would be a good idea to run Memtest 86+ when you get your system to POST.

It's probably not a PSU issue, at least I don't think so yet. 430w seems too light to me for your system. How many 12v rails/amps does it have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom