Why can't I turn High Contrast off?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

winblowz

In Runtime
About a week ago, I was lookin around in the control panel, and came across an option for high contrast, so I just wanted to try it out and said apply. I really hated it, so I unchecked it and did apply again and it stayed the same!!! I have been living with this stupid high contrast for a week or so and it is really beginning to piss me off. Any suggestions? I have WinXP.

Yep. Seen this before.

What you got is an application-boosted problem. This usually comes from using a program (especially games) where the screen is brightened (or darkened, or whatever) when you're using it. Some programs that do this are UnrealEd, Half-Life, UT2k3, some versions of AutoCAD and 3DSM, and especially MOH.

If when using the program you somehow cause it to crash or close prematurely, you can run into this error. Even a reboot will sometimes not fix the "stuck" view alterations. One way to fix this is to run that application again (if it's a game, actually run and play the game) and then carefully close the program down through its menus (not by a console command or the X-kill). Often, a hard-boot will fix this problem too.

Mid case scenario: you reinstall your drivers for yer vid card.

Your problem is a little different, what with the video setting, but I suspect this is no different. It is likely you set the high-contrast, ran some game that made it "stuck" and now can't change it back.

Worst case scenario: Contact your g-card manufacturer about the issue and see what they say (check their site too).

So how would I reinstall my vid card (NVidia GeForce FX 5200) drivers? Would that help? I dont think it's that game thing, cuz the thing was stuck before i opened any game.

Go download the latest drivers for your card and install them.

It might.

It is possible that after you set the high-contrast, an application you used after made it stuck. I'm not saying this IS your problem, but I have had loads of experiences with this happening by application/game's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom