2 9600GTs vs. 1 9800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
For about the same price you can get either a 9800GTX or 2 9600GTs. (GTX is a tad more)

So how would the two setups compare?

1 9800GTX. A single *high end* card configuration is ALWAYS better than *lower end* dual card. Not every game scales well with SLI and some games actually take a dip when using SLI compared to a single card. Plus you can stick with an x38 chipset instead of 680/780i.

So then the benefit of using a GTX is.....?

I suppose you could run two of those in SLI but then it seems like you should just get the GX2.

edit: ah ok 1 and 1 then.

However, I think the 9600GT is an exception to your rule. I believe that the 9600GT in SLi actually performs much better than previous SLi combinations. It is proven on many of the popular games to boost performance to almost match that of 1 9800GX2. If the benchmarks say the GTX is better accross the board, I would go with that, but if the 9600GT's in SLi are better, why not choose that and save a little?

the 9800gtx's can easily be taken over 800mhz oc'd.. and can even be used 800mhz everyday use... i would take the 9800gtx

and .8ns ram.. means UUBER high overclocking

However, I think the 9600GT is an exception to your rule. I believe that the 9600GT in SLi actually performs much better than previous SLi combinations. It is proven on many of the popular games to boost performance to almost match that of 1 9800GX2. If the benchmarks say the GTX is better accross the board, I would go with that, but if the 9600GT's in SLi are better, why not choose that and save a little?

The only thing I can think of is that it leaves the opportunity to later get a second 9800GTX.

Also if you run everything in 1024 x 768 then what would you need? Would two 9600GTs suffice in most cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom