backing up active directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
Is that 'system state' file is enough to back AD up using NTBACKUP ? Or do i need something more ? for example if all system fails and I reninstall OS, will 'system state' does it all to reincarnate old server ?

Is that 'system state' file is enough to back AD up using NTBACKUP ? Or do i need something more ? for example if all system fails and I reninstall OS, will 'system state' does it all to reincarnate old server ?

A system state and file restore plan is not enough with a box supporting your AD. Is this another machine bouncing off of your PDC? Worse yet, is this your PDC? I would most certainly have a fully imaged Backup snapshotted every 3 or 4 nights ready to boot and take over if thats the case.

In short....In my opinion, no. To go further, a box supporting AD needs a backup that it fully functional and ready to go. AD will be restored with a file and system state restore but any 3rd party app will be gone. Have you ever done a disaster recovery test? I work for a very large company and we plan for everything, so the experience may be a bit too much for a smaller company. Even still, when I worked for smaller companies with small scale PDCs or Exchange servers, I had a fully imaged backup ready to take over and be fully functional within 3 hours. I was always able to stick with an SLA of a 3 hour restore time too.

You can back up by taking images using software. It can also be backed up using a feature of active directory. Emergency disk repair can also be used to backup.

Leo F. Swiontek

Norton Ghost makes back up images of your drive. Only backs up the space thats used, while Acronis also backs up the free space (which isn't needed).

you should also think about gettin' your AD into a VM.
Then all is what you have to do is shut down the VM, copy it tape or wherever you want and start it up again.
Then you have a 100% system backup that can be restored as fast as it can boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom