Need a new display...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I've just about had it with my LCD monitor. The Viewsonic is officially, a POS. To translate that, it literally means just that because I've been farting on it all day.

I'm thinking about just getting one of those LCDTVs. Anyone have experience with them? Here's the deal: I want to be able to hook it up to my PC, via DVI. At the same time, I want to be able to use the coaxial cable in my room to watch regular television. I give up on the traditional LCDs, and the TV Tuner card that I have in my PC. Quality just isn't there, plus, it doesn't work anymore (cannot find video capture device--that's the error I'm getting).

So now, I can't even watch TV, lol. So I figure if I get an LCDTV, I have the best of both worlds. What are some things I should look for in an LCDTV? Brand perferences? Experiences with them?

Do the new plasma TVs have DVI interface to support PCs? If so, I may just consider getting a plasma TV.

i have a sceptre 42 inch 1080p. Id reccomend a 1080p definitely if you can run it, a 720p will look all big an blocky and ugly.

How much did that set you back in terms of price? I think it's in the thousands at least.

I was thinking at least 1080 also, whether they're interlaced or not. I'm just getting into all these TV technology. Did you guys know that the new Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 series now have a standard HDMI slot?!?!? How cool is that? Now you can directly use your plasma HDTVs or LCDTVs with your PCs. My concern is the quality. I hear that HDMI is exactly like DVI, but HDMI also supports digital sound where DVI is only digital video.

The trend these days is to combine TV and PC together. Have everything use one display. Simplifies things, unless of course, you have a large family and everyone want to watch TV except for you who have to do an online exam on the PC, hehe.

So many decisions to make. Either I upgrade my video card to the GX2 and get a new plasma flat screen HVTV or get a simple LCDTV. If I get the GX2, I'll have the most powerful video card in my neighborhood that can play virtually any wonderful games in the world. Hmmm, but watching TV is just so much of a priority.

14-125-093-04.jpg

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-NX98X1GHI-B GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

a few things. First off, your graphics card doesent need an hdmi slot, i use a dvi to hdmi cable. Also, DO NOT GET PLASMA!!! it will burn in!!! set me back exactly one thousand, and that was a deal. Get p not i, mine ghosts just a hair occasionally, not enough to notice, but if it was interlaced...

I didn't realize there was a DVI to HDMI converter. They also have an adapter to convert HDMI to DVI too? But in either case, should I choose LCDTV, the HDMI isn't important. Hmmm, let me look more into the LCDTV.

What are the advantages of LCDTV or Plasma HDTV?

You can't really go any lower then 1080p as far as LCDTV using as a monitor unless you want a huge resolution (such as 1024x768). Although I don't have any first hand experience, I have heard that the newer plasmas have little to no burn in. Can anyone who owns one comment?

Hmmm, those 1080p LCDTV can get pretty expensive. That's why I'm considering the plasma 1080p too because they're almost the same price, but they're a lot brighter too.

Oh no, I don't plan on setting it that close. I have my monitor sitting on a utlity shelf. I sit about a good 5-6 feet away from my current monitor. The 19" bugs me too being that small.

I don't plan on getting anything bigger than 20 something inches though because I have a small room. Maybe 22" or something.

I'm going with at least a 22" for my next monitor and probably a 24". I was looking at some 24" monitors over the weekend and saw one at Staples on clearance for $170. It was an off brand LCD flatscreen, I don't remember the name or specs on it but it had a nice looking picture. For $170 I should have got it.

The 24" monitors are perfect on a desk for gaming if you have the room for it. Big, but not too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom